Daughter's new nightstand WIP...now with Draws

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My daughter has graduated up to a "big girl" bed now. And along with that comes many projects for me to do. One being a nightstand for her light, water and other crap.
I found several pictures on the web of nightstands that I could make cheap and quickly, and let her choose from them. This is what she chose -

Ava_night_table_ideas.jpeg

I found it here

Armed with the picture I set out to make it for her, and this is what I have so far -

Nightstand_WIP_002.jpg

Nightstand_WIP_003.jpg

It's Maple and MDF, because I'm cheap and had it on hand, and it will be painted. Probably PINK :XXpuke:
as that is what the Princess likes these days.
I had hoped to get the drawers done today, but after 8 hours on a concrete floor, this dude is whooped and ready for a beer and Internet surfing.
I am beginning to second guess the overhang of my top, which is 1½", I might have to cut it down to just an inch. The top is an MDF field banded by butt jointed 1½" wide Maple strips so I can put a nice profile on it. I am hoping that will be more durable than just an MDF slab.
Thanks for looking comments welcome.

Dave:)

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Dave- that looks like a great little table. I'm sure the princess won't mind the mdf and the maple satisfies the quality wood construction requirement. I'm very impressed with the result of (1) 8 hour day-your quick man! Can't want to see it in [strike]peach[/strike], I mean pink:gar-Bi

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
WoW, but I would talk her out of the pink and go for a more peachy look:rotflm:

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Will I ever live down the PEACH paint incident????????????
This will definitely be Disney Princess Pink...what ever the heck that is. If the Princess wants it, it will happen :5bullwhip

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Dave that looks great:icon_thum = I am sure that your little princess would love it no matter what you made it out of - go ahead and paint it pink for now believe me I have two grown girls - she will want to paint it again

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Man. You work fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:elvis::elvis::elvis:

Really like the scallop on the aprons and the little taper on the legs!

Are you makin' a pair?

Bet she will love it.........for sure!!!!!!!!!!!:wsmile::wsmile:

PINK IS IN For Wee [strike]girls[/strike] Ladies!!!:elvis:

Man you can whip 'em out!!!:elvis::elvis:(:dontknow::icon_scra:dontknow::icon_scra)

Wayne

dpanda

New User
Dan
The wider legs definitely makes it look better than the original, and I think the overhang looks good!
Dan

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
Thats a nice stand there dave.If I made one I would have to paint it cammo because I have 4 boys and no girls.:eusa_clap

T

toolferone

Looks good Dave. What is the joinery of the legs to the sides? I also like the thicker legs. I thinke the over hang will look better to you after you profile it. The maple banding will stand up much better then the mdf to being bumped and banged up.

Wow, I just looked at the web link, $990.00. What is it made of gold?

Glennbear

Glenn
Looks good Dave. What is the joinery of the legs to the sides? I also like the thicker legs. I thinke the over hang will look better to you after you profile it. The maple banding will stand up much better then the mdf to being bumped and banged up.

Hyperbole from the website:

CONSTRUCTION and CARE
Maine Cottage painted hardwood furniture is durable and rich in your choice of 40 vibrant colors - unmatched in range and depth of color.

Our hardwood furniture is benchmade right here in New England using naturally regenerative wood from northern temperate forests. This means an artisan produces the components, assembles them expertly at a bench, then hand sands and custom finishes them to your order in 40 colors.

We choose materials for durability and sustainability. Solid Maple best executes our clean, crisp designs. Maple and maple veneer panels also perform as a perfect canvas for painting in 40 luminous colors.

40 COLORS
Our special waterborne Maine Cottage 100% aliphatic urethane paint is applied by spraying to deliver a superior finish for water-resistance, depth and vibrancy of color, elasticity, and chip-resistance. It is also highly UV-resistant. Our special Maine Cottage formula saves the atmosphere from nasty VOCs and our paint shop crew from an unpleasant day on the job.

IMHO that is still gross overpricing. :no: Of course in Princess Pink, handmade by Daddy DaveO it is priceless!:wsmile:

sediener

New User
Steve

300$ of that is for the white glove home delivery.

Dave, are you going to band the bottom edge of the sides with solid wood? I could see that area getting chipped up easily if its only MDF.

- Steve

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Got er done today...except for the painting which might take me a few more years to complete.
I built the drawer boxes today and fitted the false fronts.

Nightstand_WIP_008.jpg

I used a little trick I picked up somewhere for mounting false drawer fronts. I drilled out the screw holes for the pulls in the false front. I shimmed the drawer front to a consistent gap all around. Then I took two Kreg screws and screwed into the drawer box through the holes I drilled for the pulls. This held the false front in place until I could screw it from the back side. Then I removed the Kreg screws and finished boring the holes for the pulls. Worked perfectly.

Nightstand_WIP_006.jpg

The drawers ride on Maple runners in the sides. I almost get full extension out of them. I bored a ¼" hole in the top of the drawer back to fit in a dowel that will keep the drawer from being pulled out all the way and hurting someone. That dowel can be taken out if I ever need to remove the drawers for any reason.

Nightstand_WIP_009.jpg

Well waiting for the Princess to come home for her approval. Hope she likes it :eusa_pray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looks good Dave. What is the joinery of the legs to the sides?

Tom I used biscuits and glue to join the MDF to the Maple legs. I have found that biscuits work very well in MDF if you use enough glue.
$990 does sound like a lot for something like this. But consider this, I have around 13 hours in it without finishing. If I was wanting to make a living at this hobby I would have to charge at least $50 an hour for labor to cover all the overhead, and turn a profit I can live on. So gives $650 in labor (I am sure I'll have a few more hours in the painting) I used material I had on hand, but I had to buy and make a profit on the materials used that would easily be another $100 or more.
And then there is packaging and shipping. So their price isn't all that outrageous.
But I got a $990 nightstand for my daughter for about $10 (the cost of the hardware) and two days in the shop having fun making it.
Ain't woodworking great :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, are you going to band the bottom edge of the sides with solid wood? I could see that area getting chipped up easily if its only MDF.

- Steve

:nah::nah::nah: That area shouldn't see much abuse. And if it does, that just an excuse to make something new.
You would be surprised at the durability of MDF. I made a prototype of a stool to give to my niece a while ago out of MDF. Well I decided to paint it and let my daughter use it. Other than the bottom of the legs swelling up where they got wet I has held up to daily use in our bathroom for the last three years. And the leg swelling adds a cool buttressed look to them, but hasn't affected the stability.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
Man thats fast.
And it looks great, shes going to be a happy[STRIKE] little[/STRIKE] big girl. :icon_thum

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Dang, Tha is way nice.

I do have to say though, I do like yours better than the blue one you copied.
I like how the curve right before the leg is higher up and then sorta flows into the leg better.

Very Nice! I am sure your princess is happy to have you as a Father!
Nightstand_WIP_002.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS