Daughter's loft bed and steps DONE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I built my daughter a "loft" bed several months ago and I am finally getting close to finishing the steps that will come down from the bed. Here is the top step finally in place and ready to be final primed and painted. It is also the largest and heaviest as my wife can attest. We had a good ole time getting it up the steps this evening. The inside of the step is going to be a dolls house as you can probably tell.

Step_in_place_3.jpg

Step_in_place_2.JPG

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Re: Daughter's loft bed and steps WIP

Cool bed, I bet she loves it. I had something like that in college...stars on the ceiling and everything :-D

Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

'lofty' ambitions:lol:

looking good! how old the child?

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews

Great ideas on the loft bed. I like how they add so much space to the room. My boys had loft beds that I made for them until the futon bug hit. Now their room has shrunk two futons worth.:)

Paul

J

jeff...

Wow That's cool :icon_thum

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User

Pretty work, Mike. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

How did you secure the bed into position? I'm sure it was a coordinated effort.

Chuck

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

cool, I thought she might be older, that gives me an idea for my 8 y.o. son...

MikeH

New User
Mike

Pretty work, Mike. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

How did you secure the bed into position? I'm sure it was a coordinated effort.

Chuck

I basically built it like a deck. I've got 2x8"s lagged into every stud on the two walls and then joist hangers and 2x8's running across the short span of the bed. I then faced the 2 exposed sides with 2x10's. I then put 1/2" plywood down and hardboard on top of that. The hardboard has a shiny white side so it's easy to move the mattress around when making the bed. It's very sturdy.

Last edited:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

Mike said:
It's very sturdy.

sounds a bit overbuilt, in fact. That will hold up just about any slumber party gang imaginable!

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User

I basically built it like a deck. I've got 2x8"s lagged into every stud on the two walls and then joist hangers and 2x8's running across the short span of the bed. I then faced the 2 exposed sides with 2x10's. I then put 1/2" plywood down and then put hardboard on top of that. The hardboard has a shiny white side so it's easy to move the mattress around when making the bed. It's very sturdy.

I figured as much. No such thing as too strong with such precious cargo.

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger

Cool project Mike :cool:
All the kids in the neighborhood will be green with envy :mrgreen:

Roger

dozer

Mike

Well it's official I asked the boss if I could have a bed like that and she said no :-( .

Mike great job on the bed I am sure your daughter loves it.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Nice. I cannot let the LOML or my daughter see this or I will be building one as well.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

Nice. I cannot let the LOML or my daughter see this or I will be building one as well.

all the more opportunity to get new tools!

"Baby, I can build that for $X, all I need are a few more tools."

MikeH

New User
Mike

Thanks for all the compliments. I'll post more pics as I get further along. My wife has already figured out that I'll ALWAYS need a few additional tools any time she asks me to build something else. :lol: I think she's ok with that for the most part.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Pete, it doesn't work anymore. I have used that for so many years and she knows what I do and don't have, so that line is history.

Now, I just order and slip the stuff in when opportunity arises. Same thing she does to me with clothes and toys for the girls. I ask "When did you buy that" and I get, "Oh, I bought that last year". So, I give the same answer back to her when it comes to tools. Unfortunately, she is the CFO and sees my charges on the cards. On the good side, she never says much if anything about them.

For example, when I was having the issue with my tablesaw being dished, she was OK with me buying a new one.

nelsone

New User
Ed

Mike, that's really neat! I couldn't really picture it when we were talking. One question, how does she get into it? Climb up the shelves?? That's one lucky young lady!

Hope the eye gets better soon!

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS