Daughter's loft bed and steps DONE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Re: Daughter's loft bed and steps WIP

Mike, that's really neat! I couldn't really picture it when we were talking. One question, how does she get into it? Climb up the shelves?? That's one lucky young lady!

Hope the eye gets better soon!

Ed

Thanks Ed. It's not finished yet. There will be steps all the way up and the one in place is only the top step. The next step will be on the left of the biggest step closer to the wall. Did you see the "doll house" on the inside? She really thinks that is neat and she is excited that she gets to paint it however she wants to.

MikeH

New User
Mike

Well I am about one evening from finally finishing my daughter's steps to her loft. Let me know what you think. The tread and risers of the steps will be covered in carpet with shoe molding around the bottom of the steps. The exposed side of the largest step will be framed in door casing and will have a piece hardboard with the white laminate on it for a dry erase board. I will hopefully post finished pics tonight. Let me know what you think.

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Nice Mike, I like the way you combined the steps and the shelves.
Dave:)

MikeH

New User
Mike

Nice Mike, I like the way you combined the steps and the shelves.

Thanks Dave. There are 2 steps that aren't in the picture. Well, the step is on it's side in the 2nd pic from the top with the paint cans on it. It will be moved into place tonight so I can finish the shoe molding. I am anxious to be done and my daughter is the most patient 6 yr. old on the planet. Just look back at the beginning date on this thread. :slap: Just call me sssslllloooowwww!

Ralrick

New User
Rick

Mike -

We must have been searching the same websites for loft ideas. I built a loft very similar for my daughter. We had plans to built a 'bookcase wrap around' staircase around the support pole but decided it was too big for the room. Still haven't totally decided what we'll do for stairs but right now she is using a ladder from old bunk beds.

My wife and daughter are planning the paint scheme for the bed now - if you can see the other stuff in the room, it will be some combination of green, purple and blue . . . . . .

Btw, I didn't use any stringers. I used lag bolts into the two walls and then cut a rabbet into the 2x8's to accept a 3/4" birch plywood. It is solid as a rock.

Attachments

• loft-1.jpg
    loft-1.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 175
  • loft-3.jpg
    loft-3.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 190

MikeH

New User
Mike

Mike -

We must have been searching the same websites for loft ideas. I built a loft very similar for my daughter. We had plans to built a 'bookcase wrap around' staircase around the support pole but decided it was too big for the room. Still haven't totally decided what we'll do for stairs but right now she is using a ladder from old bunk beds.

My wife and daughter are planning the paint scheme for the bed now - if you can see the other stuff in the room, it will be some combination of green, purple and blue . . . . . .

Btw, I didn't use any stringers. I used lag bolts into the two walls and then cut a rabbet into the 2x8's to accept a 3/4" birch plywood. It is solid as a rock.

Rick that is very cool. I really like the way you dressed up to corner post.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Thanks Dave. There are 2 steps that aren't in the picture. Well, the step is on it's side in the 2nd pic from the top with the paint cans on it. It will be moved into place tonight so I can finish the shoe molding.

I am glad that you mentioned that, I noticed that the first/last step was quite the drop off 8-O 8-O

nelsone

New User
Ed

Just call me sssslllloooowwww!

Heck Mike, you aren't slow, you've been otherwise distracted. Your world seems to have gone into a spin!!!:rolf:

The bed looks great and I'm sure it will be thoroughly enjoyed! The dollhouse is really cool! What did you decide on for the white board?

photog

New User
Dan

A fun place to play and sleep. Interesting triangular cubby. Nice job.

MikeH

New User
Mike

Heck Mike, you aren't slow, you've been otherwise distracted. Your world seems to have gone into a spin!!!:rolf:

The bed looks great and I'm sure it will be thoroughly enjoyed! The dollhouse is really cool! What did you decide on for the white board?

Yup there've been a few dizzy pieces of wood around my house lately. I found out the hardboard with the white finish works perfectly with Dry erase markers.

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Wow, Mike, I had forgotten all about this project. That's looking really great. I love the stairs. Well worth the wait. :icon_thum

Chuck

MikeH

New User
Mike

Thanks for all the compliments. Here is what I got done tonight. The shoe molding is all in and the frame for the dry erase board is in. Does anyone have suggestions on securing the hardboard in place? I was thinking of gluing the piece in place and using a piece of plywood the same size as the hardboard clamped tight to make sure the hardboard has good contact with the MDF.

The areas not painted will be covered with carpet. :-D See the pic under this one for color and type of carpet.

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

Below is a good shot of the frame for the dry erase board.

IMG_00741.JPG

Here is a piece of hardboard sitting in place for effect. :)

IMG_0072.JPG

nelsone

New User
Ed

How smooth is the back of the hard board? Contact cement would probably work best, but I'm not sure how smooth the surface needs to be. I would sand the HB a little first.Have something ready to roll it out with.

MikeH

New User
Mike

How smooth is the back of the hard board? Contact cement would probably work best, but I'm not sure how smooth the surface needs to be. I would sand the HB a little first.Have something ready to roll it out with.

The back of the hardboard is very smooth. Do you think it needs to be roughed up a little?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member

Looking good Mike!! We need to hurry up on our projects so we can get some more wood dizzy :eusa_danc

nelsone

New User
Ed

Nope! Get a foam roller and roll the contact cement on both the back of the hardboard and the mounting surface, when it is dry to the touch adhere the two pieces. Make sure it is aligned before you put them together! You can get rollers for laminate, but a rolling pin will work OK

MikeH

New User
Mike

Nope! Get a foam roller and roll the contact cement on both the back of the hardboard and the mounting surface, when it is dry to the touch adhere the two pieces. Make sure it is aligned before you put them together! You can get rollers for laminate, but a rolling pin will work OK

Will do! Thanks Ed.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member

Bueatiful bed for a beautiful Daughter. Nice going Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors