Daughter's dresser - construction complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have been somewhat lazy in getting this dresser done. I screwed up the bottom and last drawer and cut the rabbets on the front the wrong way for the c*ck bead. So, I had to work out getting some wood that matched the rest of the drawers pretty well, and you know how it goes.

So, I have now completed all of the construction with the exception of the door hinges that I am waiting for delivery on. I did make the door specifically to work with inset euro hinges and downloaded the specs and installation instructions in advance. I have fitted and adjusted all of the drawers, sized the top, done all my routing, etc. So, for the rest of the evening I am going to be sanding up to 220 grit, and hopefully tomorrow start the finishing process so wish me luck. I am going to use pretty much the exact same materials and finish as DavidF used on his bed. Fortunately, he has given me fair warning of what to be aware of so I hope I do not repeat his mistakes.

All feedback including constructive is appreciated.
Dresser_unfinished.JPG

Attachments

• Dresser unfinished.JPG
    Dresser unfinished.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 152

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looks awesome Travis, I look forward to seeing it finished also. Don't you love the Euro hinges, they are so forgiving, I won't use anything else.
Dave:)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Very nice job. Can't wait to see it with it's clothes on (finish) Not a criticism, but question, how thick is the top? From the photo, it looks thin but might just be the angle of the photo.

MIke

MarkW

New User
Mark
Very nice ! Good choice on the hardware, it really fits with the design. I may have missed another thread, but is the design yours?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Dave, you are right, euro hinges are definitely the way to go. Once in a while I will use something else, but nothing compares to euro.

Mike, the top is actually a full 3/4 inch thick. It has a 1/4 inch roundover on the top and bottom per LOML's specifications. She requires all the furniture I build for our girls to have no sharp edges or corners.

Mark, the design is modified from something she saw online at Pier1 kids. I drew most of it up in sketchup and posted it in an earlier post.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Well worth the wait Travis. LOYL and daughter will be very proud.

Heck, I'm proud of you :mrgreen:

Roger

rhett

New User
rhett
Looks great Travis. Have you ever looked into SOS hinges. They work well with inset doors although you loose the three way adjustment.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have used barrell hinges, but I haven't tried Soss hinges. I thought about it, but didn't order them in advance so I threw out that idea. I may order a pair just to tinker with as they are pretty neat to me. I have gotten to the point that I can "fit" a door and drawer properly (most of the time) so getting that perfect reveal isn't as tough as it used to be for me.

Have you used them? Anything to beware of?

rhett

New User
rhett
I have used barrell hinges, but I haven't tried Soss hinges. I thought about it, but didn't order them in advance so I threw out that idea. I may order a pair just to tinker with as they are pretty neat to me. I have gotten to the point that I can "fit" a door and drawer properly (most of the time) so getting that perfect reveal isn't as tough as it used to be for me.

Have you used them? Anything to beware of?

Yes, a few times. Definately a prior to construction thought though. If you decide to try them I have the template for the 3/4" style.

Attachments

• soss.jpg
    soss.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 136

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It was close, but I ended up working it out of existing wood so I still have your piece uncut. I do appreciate the loan as I was not sure if I was going to be able to make it work.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Travis that looks really nice. :) I think some good things are gonna come out of some of those drawers when you apply the finish. I believe I see some interesting figure! (am I right?)

I like the slight inset on the frames a lot. What did you do for drawer slides?

Chuck

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Travis, the chest is awsome, and I am sure the finish will turn out great. What is the construction of the side panels? I love the design and you know I like the choice of wood.

DavidF

New User
David
Nice Job Travis, you seem to have kept this quiet! no huge long construction thread - tut, tut....
Question; how have you kept the bottom of the legs from pulling apart sideways? with no bottom rail at the front it would be normal to put that bottom panel in a sliding dove tail as you can't glue it full length in a dado with solid wood. I ask because I have a similar design on the bedside cabs and I have decided to go with sliding DT for the lower panel. Maybe you have a better solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS