Daughter's dresser - construction complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Lorraine, the side panels are Cherry plywood.

David, I did have a long construction thread, but it got closed when I got lazy.

David, I did sliding dovetails on all of the drawer dividers. I used to use rabbets/dadoes, but the strength of those leave a lot to be desired (I learned the hardway), and I made a simple little jig to do stopped sliding dovetails. That way, I don't have to worry about them pulling apart.

Wish me luck. I spray the Target waterbased sealer tonight.

Here is a picture export from sketchup that may make a little more sense.

dovetail.jpg

DavidF

New User
David
Lorraine, the side panels are Cherry plywood.

David, I did have a long construction thread, but it got closed when I got lazy.

David, I did sliding dovetails on all of the drawer dividers. I used to use rabbets/dadoes, but the strength of those leave a lot to be desired (I learned the hardway), and I made a simple little jig to do stopped sliding dovetails. That way, I don't have to worry about them pulling apart.

Wish me luck. I spray the Target waterbased sealer tonight.

Here is a picture export from sketchup that may make a little more sense.

View attachment 2053

Hi Travis, glad you chose to do the "correct" but hard way; I thought I was the only mad one!! I have chosen to do exactly what you have done, but I am braving it by bringing the dovetail through to the front face as a feature - just hope I don't screw it up!!

I haven't quite decided whether to go with lipped cherry ply for the dividers or solid cherry frame and thiner ply panel. Probably go with the edged ply. Unless one of you persuades me otherwise:lol:

Have fun with the spraying, if you put the shellac on correctly you will love the way it flattens out after just 30 mins.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Travis, Bob Timberlake has a simular cherry chest in his catalog for $1,675.00. It has four bottom drawers, a set of two drawers on each side of the middle door. Yours is beautiful. Makes me want to start one for myself. That spare bedroom needs furniture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS