Dale Nish presenting at NCSU Feb 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dale Nish, a pioneer in modern wood turning will presenting and demonstrating at the NCSU Craft Center on Friday February 5th from 6:30pm to 9:30pm. The event is FREE. Don't miss this opportunity.

For those who do not know the name here is some of his bio....

"Dale Nish is one of the world’s best known woodturners and writers. His three books (Creative Woodturning, Artistic Woodturning, and Master Woodturners) have influenced a whole generation of turners. His broad knowledge of turning and more than 30 years as a teacher make him a master of most of the tools and techniques used today.

Dale was instrumental in starting the renowned Utah Woodturning Symposium held every year in Provo, Utah. He is a frequent demonstrator there and at a number of other influential symposiums."

P.S. If there is enough interest maybe we can meet before for a North Carolina Woodworker dinner

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
While I'm not a turner, this does sound like a good night out. (Wood is involved) Does anybody have any details on this event?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm in! This sounds like a great night out!

Where are we gonna eat? I'm a delicate flower and might not have enough enegry stored up to see all those turned things.

I've uploaded the PDF Flyer they sent out:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=260

Here are some images from a flyer on the event:
image0011.jpg

View image in gallery

To sweeten the pot, Hillsborough Turner Pat Lloyd is featured in the exhibit! Here is some info she sent out:

Hi Friends.

I wanted to share with you some great news. I am honored to have seven of my woodturnings selected to participate in a woodturning exhibition at the Gregg Museum of Art & Design at NC State University. The exhibition, “With Lathe and Chisel: North Carolina Woodturners and Carvers”, includes the contemporary work of thirty-two (32) North Carolina woodturners and carvers, as well as several pieces from the Gregg permanent collection.

The exhibition will run January 21 – May 15, 2010. The opening reception on Thursday, February 4th from 6 – 8 pm, will feature a discussion led by Dale Nish, the Guest Curator, and informal talks with the artists.

Please stop by to see the exhibit this Spring. I took a sneak peak last night and am quite impressed. If you can, we would love to see you at the With Lathe and Chisel: North Carolina Woodturners and Carvers opening reception on February 4th from 6-8 pm.

The Gregg Museum Spring Exhibition brochure follows. It is also attached as a pdf.

(PS. The Faces and Mazes exhibit of Lia Cook’s weavings is stunning and worth a look as well.)

Here is a link to Mapquest directions to the Gregg Museum of Art & Design in The Talley Student Center at NC State University.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?name=G...itude=-78.670872&geocode=ADDRESS&id=262584510

Regards, Pat Lloyd

www.hillsboroughgallery.com

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
This demo and discussion will occur in the NCSU Craft Center. It will be a great way to tour the center and learn from one of the top people in turning.

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
cool cool. I went to the shindig in provo this last year, it was a crazy event. Lots of great turners showed up. This is going to be fun if you can make it.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am not sure I will make it, but I will start the ball rolling anyway (stirrin' pots and pokin' anthills since 1959 :rolf:)...

How about Applebees on Hillsborough around 5:30?

Something to throw darts at (another favorite past time)...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The NCSU Craft Center is just off of Hillsborough Street.. I am open to most anything food wise. It will just have to be fairly quick to make 6:30. Any one know how Two Guys Ameri-Italian is?

CarvedTones

Andy
I am more probable now; almost a certainty. Is there any plan to meet and eat? I work by North Hills, so it really makes no sense for me to go home first. I really don't have any preference, though as someone else noted it will need to be quick.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm still game. Anyone know the area and can suggest places to eat?

CarvedTones

Andy
It's Wednesday; I think we need to make a plan and adjust if we get a strong contrary opinion. I was going to say maybe we should just try that Italian spot but a quick search to find a menu was not encouraging. I found a link to what was listed at CitySearch as their website and it is availabel at GoDaddy - not a good sign. Does anyone know if they are still in business?

CarvedTones

Andy
Works for me; it has been a few years since I ate there. My last experience was good, but not all that quick. I would suggest 5:30, maybe 5:45 at the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors