Dado Stack Damaging TS Arbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
Hi all,

On another forum, someone was reporting a issue with a dado stack w/chippers & shims damaging his tablesaw arbor. The dado type was not mentioned but the tablesaw was Ridgid TS3650. He stated that he installed and used a dado stack w/ chippers & shims (to size) and it damaged the threads on the arbor (arbor nut will not go past the spot) where the dado was. Has anyone else ever heard of this issue? Could it have been an issue where he didn't have the arbor nut tight and the dado spun on the arbor?

I quess I'm just a little worried as I have just bought a new TS3650 and have a Freud SD208 dado set and plan on using it alot. I have used it set at 1/4" ( 2 outside blades) with no issue but have not used it with the chippers or the shims. The 1st time I used the dado the 2 outside blades were hard to install, I thought it was due to a precision bore of the blades and then the Red plating that Freud puts on the set. After the 1st use the blades go on with no problem.

So anyway, I thought I'd tap the vast knowledge of the group to see if anyone had heard of this problem before?

Thanks

James :-?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the 3650 and have not had the problem (altho some blades are tight the first time for the reason you mentioned). I have heard of damage caused by people having a shim drop into a thread and then trying to snug the stack up by torquing down the arbor nut. A slipping dado set would also cause the damage. I always squeeze the stack with my left hand and run the nut as tight as I can with my fingers. I then turn it a couple of revolutions to make sure all is flush together before tightening the nut with the wrench.
For almost full width (3/4") dado stacks on the 3650, you will need to use only the nut, (do not install the shoulder washer). The dado stack is stiff enough not to need the washer, and you need to get the nut on tight with full threads showing on the arbor end. If no threads are showing, the arbor nut will not stay tight, which will cause the damage you mentioned as well as much more damage if it all comes apart under power.8-O

Hope this helps

Go

gator

George
Corporate Member
I don't have a Ridgid saw so i can't answer your question directly, but, I have heard that there was a major arbor problem with the 3650 , should have been solved by now but maybe not. If you go to the Ridgid forum and search "3650 arbor" you may find out something.

George

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Ridgid had an arbor problem in which the last thread groove at the shoulder end was cut the complete circumference of the arbor. The narrow shank allowed a single blade to run fine, but when stacking blades for a dado, the first chipper or the second blade (for a 1/4" wide cut) would drop into the recess, making it out of round with the first blade. The result was a messed up bottom in the dado cut. To my knowledge, no one experienced any additional damage to the arbor or saw.
I bought mine (TS3650) in Jan (2006) and did not have the problem. At that time, there were still some on shelves and in warehouses, based on posts subsequent to my purchase. I haven't heard of anyone getting a "bad" arbor for several months now. If you have one, and it falls under the warrantee or you registered it under the Lifetime Service Agreement, Ridgid will replace it but you must ship them the saw. They were shipping out arbors at first but discontinued this due to the problems people were having in installing them.
The above info is what I have read while being a frequent visitor to the Ridge Tool Company, Home of RIDGID Professional Plumbing Tools and Power Tools forum.

Go

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Also, be sure that none of the tips of the blades are touching each other. This will not only increase the width of the set but cause it to run off-center.
Jim in Mayberry
ps. some saws will not allow a full width of dado blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors