Dado Set Storage Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I recently bought an Onsrud dado set that was advertised at a good price ($65.00±). I had an occasion to try it out and was very satisfied. The box it came in and all the spacers made it 52-pickup when sorting through for what I wanted. Laying things out just took up too much bench space not to mention the pain of returning the blades to the case with all the plastic spacer shims. Since this will be another user set, to me it was worth the time to make a little holding box. It was also a chance to use a little scrap that would otherwise gone to the land fill.
Here’s the dado set as it came with its nicely made case. You can see the ritual one must go through to remove and replace the cutters.
dadoset1.jpg

I gave things a little thought and made the spaces 5/16” wide with 1/4” plywood dividers. Inside width is 8-1/8”.
dadoset2.jpg

Here things are dry fit together. There’s enough sticking up to grab and enough divider thickness to keep things from banging together.
dadoset3.jpg

The finished box. Not particularly precision or pretty by any means, but it used up some scrap and will give me a convenient way to store my new dado set. I took the label off the original box and glued it to my new container.
dadoset4.jpg

This storage box isn’t a new idea at all. Here’s one I made for my Freud set I got back in the early 1980s.
dadoset5.jpg

While I had the camera out and was thinking about blade storage, here’s a couple of other boxes I’ve made over the years to store blades. It works great and doesn’t take up wall space.
dadoset6.jpg

Drifting the thread a little more, Here’s a box on casters that I roll in and out under the table saw for accessory storage. You can see the blade storage boxes on the shelf inside. This rolling cabinet is nice when those rare cleanup occasions occur.
dadoset7.jpg

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Wow...you've got more blades than I have tools!
I can see why you need to make those nifty boxes :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS