Cypress Stump Cookie Finishing

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I have this cypress cookie that's been in my father in law's garage shop for 45+yrs and we're turning it into a hanging light fixture. I'm sanding off the chainsaw marks and noticed it's got some punky wood spots. I've chiseled out all I care to w/o loosing that look we're after. Being very soft cypress/porous & end grain I'd like your opinions on how best to finish this. I am not buying epoxy for this project. Either finish will take a lot of coats I know. I have to finish all sides since this will need to be dusted periodically.

Oh and I have to do this in my basement/living space so fumes will be of concern.

Punky Wood Prep Options:
Coat the punky areas w/ super glue to tighten them up or use shellac ?

Finish Prep

Should I used Aqua Coat grain filler or shellac before finishing so not using so much finish ?

Finishing Option 1:
Rubio monocoat (would take multiple coats I know)

Finishing Option 2:
Shellac. Would likely take the most coats ?

Finishing Option 3:
Water based poly. Not as preferred as really want the colors (if any) to pop a little more.

Finishing Option 4:
Wipe on poly. Not as preferred due to fumes

Thanks in advance !
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg

Last edited:

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I’ve since learned that you can’t use Aqua Coat to fill the pores then Rubio (per Rubio).

Thinking shellac may be my only choice for stiffening the punky wood areas sand back then Rubio.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Status report.

• Shellac worked great to stiffen the punky wood
  • Unfortunately Rubio monocoat was a failed attempt. This wood was just far too porous as the Rubio disappeared as fast as I could flood it on. After using 4x more than one should use (used 60mL of the Rubio mix) on just one side. I started on the top side just in case (non-show face for this chandelier).
  • Also note, do not pour Rubio onto end grain then work around various areas troweling it in like you are on YouTube or you’ll have lines that soaked in more and it leaves dark streaks since the pores are being filled unevenly.
    4C337A63-6348-4CAD-98D0-65E8B7EF1D20.jpeg
  • Will have to buy more shellac and I’ll just finish it that way

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors