Cutting wine glass molding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wife wants to hang some wine glass under a kitchen cabinet. I see Rocker sells precut molding strips but if course they are red oak and I need cherry. Anyone have dimension and angles to make your own? I would prefer to cut in the table saw vs having to buy a special router bit.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Because I was curious as to what the molding was they sold, I did some looking. I found this, which may be a good start. I wouldn't think that all wine glasses are the same, so personally, I would tailor the dimensions to the set that we have. Definitely could be done on a table saw, I wouldn't buy any special bits. Though, you may need a new (or another) table saw for this project, or there has got to be some other tool you just NEED to get this done, for the wife. LOL. I would cut the 10* angle first, then the vertical cut to remove the material. Tape the cut off back in place to make the piece stable enough to cut the other side.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 175618d1451427696-wine-glass-shelf-wine-glass-rack.png
    175618d1451427696-wine-glass-shelf-wine-glass-rack.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 375

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I made mine with a raised panel bit in the router table. you're welcome to come by and cut them out most any evening or weekend.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Scott, I made mine using my table saw and they are very similar to the ones shown by ste6168 above. I have a large adjustable sliding fixture (a panel raising jig) that I use on my table saw to safely hold the stock while the 10 degree miter is cut the length of each board. I've included a picture of the wine cellar I did on commission several years ago to show the outcome, including the half sets at each end of the opening holding the glasses. These were done in White Oak.

Here is the table saw fixture, which I originally made for cutting raised panels (a back cut to align the panel with the back of the door frame is shown in this picture; the panel is flipped and the blade set at an angle to cut the raised portion).

The full set of pictures for the Wine Cellar are in my Projects Album in the Wine Cellar sub-Album and the Panel Raising Jig picture is from my Jigs and Fixtures Album.

Last edited:

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Good Idea on the jig Rob
Here are a few additional pictures of the jig. First one is with the raised panel being cut at an 11 degree angle -- I cut 1/8" deep grooves across the panel first to define the edge of the raised portion that helps reduce the tear out and provide a nice reveal. A 1/4" thick strip held in place with brass screws acts to push the stock and a hard maple caul clamps the stock above the blade.

Second picture shows the back side of the jig. Since it needs to be adjustable to define the cutting position, I made the base 12" wide and set it against the fence to set the depth of cut. The miter slot runner is adjustable with the knobs to allow it to be locked in place and then the fence is backed off (another knob is hidden behind the third buttress). The angled buttresses keep the MDF vertical member perfectly square.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I made a couple of wine cabinets with glass holders up top. I don't remember exactly how I did it but it wasn't difficult. There's probably pictures in my gallery but that was a time when I didn't organize the gallery well. Good luck searching through it - it should be early in my uploads. i'll try to remember to search myself, but you can do so as well.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Though, you may need a new (or another) table saw for this project, or there has got to be some other tool you just NEED to get this done, for the wife. LOL.

Did that once. I got a Saw Stop in that deal .

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
From personal experience : " I wouldn't think that all wine glasses are the same!"
My first house had a built in wine glass rack ... the openings were sooo small that none of our wine glasses would fit.
Needless to say, I had to remove it and rebuild it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS