Cutting Tenons

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtrager

New User
Mitch
Probably asked a thousand times and I know there's no one answer. But what is your preferred method of cutting tenons - on the tablesaw, router table, bandsaw, other.

I have a bunch to cut and am looking for advice. These particular tenons are offset - i.e., not centered on the end.

Thanks in advance...

Nativespec

New User
David
I have used my dado set on the table saw-that works ok, but the problem with the table saw method is lining up all four cuts. I tried the router table, but I got burn marks. I have a festool MF table and that works well for lining up the top and bottom cuts (using the stop) and I may finish with that saw or finish with the tenon jig on the table saw. I have purchased a Woodrat (should arrive today) and am looking forward to cutting tenons with that. I was going to buy a tenon jig, but the Woodrat makes more sense-unlimited possibilities. Also, I saw the Festool Domino at Klingspoor Saturday and was impressed with it-well machined. I don't like paying $200 for their bisquits, but I think I could make my own.

Thanks,

David

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
These particular tenons are offset - i.e., not centered on the end.

Haunched tenons, or some other kind of offset?

Nibble the narrow shoulders, slice the wide shoulder, and cheek cut with a tenoning jig on the tablesaw.

I tend to think there may other preferences, it depends on what's worked for each in the past.

mtrager

New User
Mitch
Thank you for your opinions -- I tried using my Dado Stack on the tablesaw today and that seems like an OK way to go. Hardest part (for me) was getting the blade height set correctly - would be nice if someone came up with a digital height gauge for the saw blade. Perhaps there is one but I am not aware of it.

M

McRabbet

Mitch,

I use my Freud SD-508 dado blade on my table saw as well and have found it to be the most accurate. I also have a sliding jig (see my Gallery) that was built for making raised panels, but it works great for cheek cuts, too. I prefer haunched tenons for the rails in my raised panel doors for added strength. For accurate heights, I use a guage from General Tool (they make one for setting router bits and one for tablesaws and they don't cost much).

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

photog

New User
Dan
I use the tablesaw and miter gauge to cut the shoulders first, and then cut the cheeks with a tenoning jig also on the tables saw.I find it important to cut my mortises first. Then I aim to make my cheek cuts just a bit thick and dry fit in the mortise. I’ll return the piece to the tenoning jig and dial in the small incremental adjustment to get that tenon to slide into a perfect fit. If your mortises are all consistent, you can then blaze away at cutting all the rest of the project’s tenons at that setting.

rhett

New User
rhett
Unless doing a thru/wedged tenon, I have abandoned cutting tenons altogether. I have found that a floating tenon is quicker, easier and just as strong in most all woodworking applications.

poppop

New User
Don
ditto jeff
unless they are unusually large or haunched. i have a grizzly tenoning jig that i have used once or twice but setting it up take more time than i use with the table saw and stop block

Monty

New User
Monty
My technique seems to vary according to the size of the project or piece I'm working on. With smaller pieces, I might go with the tenoning jig on the table saw. Since your tenons are offset I might suggest that technique with a spacer block for one of the cheek cuts. With larger/longer pieces (too tall to stand up securely on the table saw) I usually cut the shoulders on the table saw and then go to the bandsaw to cut the cheeks. I can use the fence with stop blocks to make quick work of it, and then fine-tune the fit of each joint with a block plane.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Thank you for your opinions -- I tried using my Dado Stack on the tablesaw today and that seems like an OK way to go. Hardest part (for me) was getting the blade height set correctly - would be nice if someone came up with a digital height gauge for the saw blade. Perhaps there is one but I am not aware of it.
Shop Notes had a tip about a year ago using the HF digital calipers about a year ago. The plastic ones that are often on sale for $7.99. I made a set of templates when I made mine, so it wouldn't be hard to make you a "body". I use mine to set fence, height of blade, measure depth of cut, etc- priceless!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Woodrat really makes a 'machined' tenon. I've tried many methods over the years, but once I have made the stop block for any given tenon size it takes 2 quick passes to cut a perfect tenon on my Woodrat.
Next best favorite was with a sled on the router table.
When I'm making cope & stick panel doors I use floating tenons for added strenght.
After I wrote this, I went to the shop and dug this out. Haven't used it since i got my Woodrat but this is what I did use before. Hard to see, but that's a 1/2" spiral bit mounted.
RT Tenon Sled Jig
RT_Tenon_Jig_1_.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors