Cutting metal with BS

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
My wife wants me to cut some old metal barn roofing with my 14' BS. Will cutting metal cause any negative issues for my BS? If not I would appreciate any input on blades for cutting metal barn roofing..

Edit to say I will be cutting out patterns for some artistic type stuff she is doing.

Last edited:

thebroofmoses

Aaron
User
Hey Keye,

If it is corrugated metal roofing, I find that flipping the blade of an old circular saw works best for me. Built a pole barn a couple years back and this worked best for me without having to buy a blade for cutting metal. Rudimentary but got the job done.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Short answer: find another way.
A saber saw at low speed with a fine tooth blade intended for metal cutting would be a better bet.
Cutting sheet metal with a saw is very loud, slow, and produces metal chips that get embedded in the tires. Little metal chips will be constantly be dropping out of the saw long after the metal cutting job is finished.
Wood cutting speeds and metal cutting speeds vary significantly. For wood, 3000 surface feet per minuted is good. For metal, 300 is good. For sheet metal, a 24 tooth blade would give the best cut.

1  metalcut - 1.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, but no. The saw is relegated to metal from then on unless you want to strip it, clean every part and buy new tires.

I found just like the reverse blade in a circular saw reversing the blade in a band saw works well for sheet metal.
I like a 3 tooth per inch skip tooth blade (same effect as slowing the speed). Maybe 1/4 inch or 3/8.

Ear plugs and headphone style ear protectors together cut down the noise a little.

If she really really wants it you just gotta do it, right?

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Thanks guys!! Not using the BS. I have a good vs saber saw and also metal cutting blades. If this does not work she is out of luck.

Aaron, thanks for your tip. I will need to cut smaller pieces to start with and I have plenty of old blades.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I do tons of metal cutting. Get a decent 7 1/4 metal cutting toothed blade. All of them will cut to 1/8 " metal no problem. Use that for larger cuts. Especially, when you are ripping metal long wise.

For precision small cuts I usually use a grinder. The risk using a bandsaw is the small metal filings will get into the rubber tires and potentially cause issues. The new circular metal cutting blades are really good now. Also, like Mike said, wear protection. Me ? I use ear plugs and ear muffs both. Wear a smock or coat and leather shoes and gloves. If you do not care about your running shoes getting micro melt holes then I guess you could wear them. ALWAYS wear eye protection with any metal work.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I do tons of metal cutting. Get a decent 7 1/4 metal cutting toothed blade. All of them will cut to 1/8 " metal no problem. Use that for larger cuts. Especially, when you are ripping metal long wise.

For precision small cuts I usually use a grinder. The risk using a bandsaw is the small metal filings will get into the rubber tires and potentially cause issues. The new circular metal cutting blades are really good now. Also, like Mike said, wear protection. Me ? I use ear plugs and ear muffs both. Wear a smock or coat and leather shoes and gloves. If you do not care about your running shoes getting micro melt holes then I guess you could wear them. ALWAYS wear eye protection with any metal work.
Thanks, a lot of good advice!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
While I have not had that much experience cutting metal, the little that I have done I have used my angle grinder...it is slow, not very precise but it gets the job done.

Ecr1

Chuck
Senior User
These work good for sheet metal they can cut metal roofing just have to take your time at the ribs. Easy to do circles and scribes.

Attachments

• DA765DE8-A784-4EC0-A7AE-D9D020ACEDDF.jpeg
    DA765DE8-A784-4EC0-A7AE-D9D020ACEDDF.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 107

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have a couple of these. Different brands basically they are really only good to 18 ga. I also have one of these, the one I have will do 14 ga not expensive but they are a little slow, but useful when making cuts in the center of metal.

While I have not had that much experience cutting metal, the little that I have done I have used my angle grinder...it is slow, not very precise but it gets the job done.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 110

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Metal band saws go much slower. As it is steel, one can use a jig saw/saws-all etc. or pneumatic sheers.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS