Cutting down tree in front yard - Silver Maple?

dazart

New User
Steve
We're going to cut down this tree in our front yard. The roots are coming out of the ground and starting to lift the concrete to the driveway and walk. The wife has tripped on it and fell once or twice now, so it's just time for it to go.

I was told it was silver maple - not sure if that's right or not. The arborist who looked at the tree said it was 21" in diameter. I'm about 5' 11", so I stood there to try to give an idea on how tall it was. There are a few burls on the other side too.

The arborist gave me the number to Carolina Urban Lumber and they quoted me $1,750 to take the log (tree cutting service would have to put it on his truck), cut it, kiln dry it, and store it for 6-18 months (whatever is needed). The downside was that he couldn't tell me how much wood would come from it because you don't know how the wood will react.

I think even if he could promise me a ton of wood, I don't have $1,750 give. Is this type of tree worth trying to get wood out of? Would anywhere else give me a better quote (I'm in Huntersville, NC)? If that's an average rate, would anyone be interested in the tree? I'd rather donate it to someone/somewhere then just have the tree cutting service take it away unless this type of tree's wood isn't worth the trouble.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I haven't had any lumber milled recently, but a couple years ago I paid $250 per 1000 BF to mill lumber at my farm. The guy came to me with his portable mill. I had to provide labor to pull and stack the lumber on my trailer as it was cut. I then stacked, stickered and let it air dry. There is a link on the site for Sawyers that may be able to assist.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I'm in Mooresville and know several guys with band mills so I would love to haul it away for you. Do you have a timeline for when it would need to be moved? Would love to have my trailer there when it is cut so if the tree service has a skidsteer they could drop it on the trailer.Let me know what direction you go .
Greg

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I'd love to take the Burls off your hands. In exchange, I'd be happy to turn you a nice bowl out of one/some of them depending on what kind of yield I'm able to get?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The tree is a silver maple (Acer saccharinum) and it's broadly classified as a "soft" maple whose lumber is available at The Hardwood Store. The roots are typically knotty/gnarly and near the soil surface and are a PITA as you've found.

About Carolina Urban Lumber in Pineville, NC. They may give you a big price reduction if you give the tree to them and they'll cut it down and haul it away. However, if you want the lumber that's where they'll charge you for their services.

*Transportation of the log to and from our mill is not included. Additional costs for storage or kiln drying.

dazart

New User
Steve
*Transportation of the log to and from our mill is not included. Additional costs for storage or kiln drying.

Yeah - he said he wouldn't charge me as long as I had something to get the log on the truck, and the tree cutting service said they could have a bobcat to do that for me.

But - I talked to Glenn from GPS Hardwoods and he didn't think it would be worth the trouble, he thought that I'd probably get about $1/BF from the wood, and only about 1/2 the wood from the log would be useful since the center wood would be dark.

I think it'll probably be easier for me to 'donate' it to someone here that already has the tools/space needed. While I think it'd be cool to do it myself, I obviously don't have the space or equipment, and I don't have the money to have someone else handle it. :)

Greg - if you want the log you can have it, but if there's any possible way to save the burls and give them to Michael that would be great.

The company that will cut the tree down said they'd be able to do it in about 2-3 weeks. They normally set up a bunch of jobs in the neighborhood at one time so save some time and money. I can message you when I know the date.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
The tree is a silver maple (Acer saccharinum) and it's broadly classified as a "soft" maple whose lumber is available at The Hardwood Store. The roots are typically knotty/gnarly and near the soil surface and are a PITA as you've found.

About Carolina Urban Lumber in Pineville, NC. They may give you a big price reduction if you give the tree to them and they'll cut it down and haul it away. However, if you want the lumber that's where they'll charge you for their services.

Sometimes you learn something new.

I didn’t realize the name for Silver Maple was so similar to Sugar Maples:

Big differences between them.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Yeah - he said he wouldn't charge me as long as I had something to get the log on the truck, and the tree cutting service said they could have a bobcat to do that for me.

But - I talked to Glenn from GPS Hardwoods and he didn't think it would be worth the trouble, he thought that I'd probably get about $1/BF from the wood, and only about 1/2 the wood from the log would be useful since the center wood would be dark.

I think it'll probably be easier for me to 'donate' it to someone here that already has the tools/space needed. While I think it'd be cool to do it myself, I obviously don't have the space or equipment, and I don't have the money to have someone else handle it. :)

Greg - if you want the log you can have it, but if there's any possible way to save the burls and give them to Michael that would be great.

The company that will cut the tree down said they'd be able to do it in about 2-3 weeks. They normally set up a bunch of jobs in the neighborhood at one time so save some time and money. I can message you when I know the date.

Steve,
Just let me know when we get close, I'm thinking that I will also use some of it for turning. If Michael see's this post please contact me with some info via PM so I can call you when this all happens.
Thanx Greg

Rick M

New User
Rick
Not worth it for silver maple unless it's spalted, which it does a lot, but it's also prone to shake.

dazart

New User
Steve
Steve,
Just let me know when we get close, I'm thinking that I will also use some of it for turning. If Michael see's this post please contact me with some info via PM so I can call you when this all happens.
Thanx Greg

I sent you a PM

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Steve, above message says yesterday and I'm pretty sure that was about a week ago. anyway I think I replied to your PM.....

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors