Cutting board mistake.....how bad is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
So I am making some cutting boards for wedding gifts. Last night when I was glueing them up I think I made a critical mistake. It seems I absentmindedly got 2 different glues out of the cabinet. One is a waterproof type III, and the other was basic wood glue. I don't know why I did this, just not paying attention I suppose. At any rate I realized halfway through gluing up the cutting board that I was using the basic type 1 glue and not the waterproof type 3. I switched on the other half, but it was too late to change anything on the first half. Am I correct in supposing that half of this cutting board is going to fall apart quickly after some use and washing?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I think that you should be fine. Cutting boards should never be totally immersed in water anyway. (Ie never placed in a dish washer!) Just wiped with soapy water, rinsed by wiping clear water then dried.

Wayne

Fishbucket

New User
Joe
I made a cutting board in high school ~35 years ago. With just regular old 'wood' glue. It's still together all these years with Mom beating the ever living crap out of it and I think it's been thru the Dishwasher a time or two as well. It started out as 1" and the center has to be only 3/4 in thick now.

I think you'll be ok.

FlyingRon

Ron
I agree with the others. My son made several boards in shop class over the years. Plain old yellow elmer's wood glue. The only failures were where the wood moved and split, not the glue joints.

NTCook

New User
Nick
Yup, agree with the others. Just don't soak it for hours or throw it in the dishwasher and you'll be fine.

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
well that's good news to hear!
.....now if any of you have any magic spells to take out a twist (things shifted in the clamps apparently, Grrrrr!) let me know there too!....otherwise I suppose I'm in a for a long tiring duel between end grain and my plane to fix it.

Fishbucket

New User
Joe
100's of year old Magic !

h7566-06c67c5e9bd751a7996afd2db4900753.jpg

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
.....now if any of you have any magic spells to take out a twist.

Winding sticks, a sharp plane and sweat. If its endgrain you're really in for a workout.

Or, a planer sled if it will fit. (Careful if its an endgrain cutting board you'll have to glue on some salvage strips)

Not to spoil the party but I would caution that you can take out the twist and a week later its back. This occurs because of stress in the wood.

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
Thanks Dr. Bob. It is end grain, so I'll just have to muscle through it with a sharp plane. The twist came more from the pieces sliding during clamping that wood movement in this case, so I suspect it will stay flat once I finish.....I'm just hoping they'll be enough material left once I'm done for the board not to look too skinny. Oh well, I suppose worse case is this one just ends up in my kitchen and I make another.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Dr. Bob. It is end grain, so I'll just have to muscle through it with a sharp plane. The twist came more from the pieces sliding during clamping that wood movement in this case, so I suspect it will stay flat once I finish.....I'm just hoping they'll be enough material left once I'm done for the board not to look too skinny. Oh well, I suppose worse case is this one just ends up in my kitchen and I make another.

If it does end up too skinny, just make it into a cheese board or two!

hooksja

New User
Alex
You could try using a router sled. Matt Cremona on YouTube has a good demonstration using a sled to level an end grain cutting board if I'm not mistaken.

I've used a sled for a few projects and have been happy with the results. Just made it out of a scrap piece of plywood.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
well that's good news to hear!
.....now if any of you have any magic spells to take out a twist (things shifted in the clamps apparently, Grrrrr!) let me know there too!....otherwise I suppose I'm in a for a long tiring duel between end grain and my plane to fix it.

End grain will be a nice challenge with a hand plane. You will be a graduate in hand planes, including blade angles, front and back bevel angles and no edge tear-out when done.:D

Cutting-board-finish.jpg

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
You might want to consider a router sled to flatten. That sharp plane will get dull real quick!

Check out a guy on YouTube called MTM. He makes some pretty amazing EGCB's.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I made a small end grain cutting board using TB1 as a test and it had been fine. It gets fairly wet.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors