Cutting a 6x6 into 4 pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

weelis

New User
weelis
I have a four ft. long piece of rough sawn cherry that is 6x6. Need advise as to best way to cut it into four equal pieces to make table legs. Tjhanx.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
You might want to joint and plane the wood so its exactly even on all sides. Then if you have a decent bandsaw with resaw guide you can set it to 3" width and cut down the length and then take both halfs and do the same with them (on the 6" wide side face down on the table) That would be the easiest.

I have a four ft. long piece of rough sawn cherry that is 6x6. Need advise as to best way to cut it into four equal pieces to make table legs. Tjhanx.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Unless you need 4 feet long legs for your table, I would recommend cutting the piece of cherry down closer to your final leg length. This would allow you to minimize any bow or cup in the wood. Then I would smooth one of the faces before I did any ripping.

Roy G

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I would skip joint and plane two adjacent faces, so the beam could be rsawn into four separate leg-blanks with a bandsaw/tablesaw/hand held circ saw - whatever you have available. I would only remove enough material to get a reference surface(s).

I would try to preserve as much material as possible for after the resaw with the expectation the leg blanks are going to warp, possibly a lot. You may need to remove quite a bit of material to re-true each leg.

-Mark

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I would try to preserve as much material as possible for after the resaw with the expectation the leg blanks are going to warp, possibly a lot. You may need to remove quite a bit of material to re-true each leg.

-Mark

^^^^ This. Unless those 6 x 6's are the exact same MC% throughout, you're going to get some movement after your resaw them.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Start with two square and jointed faces then resaw. I prefer bandsaw less waste.
Joint the sawn faces, sticker in a draft free area.

Resawing opens up the center of the wood so it is subject to both stress relief and bowing due to diffs in moisture.
The key is keep them big as long as possible.

Check them with a straight edge every couple days. Plan on rejointing at least 1 or 2 times taking equal amounts off all face and re-stickering for up to a week between millings (this depends on how stable the wood is).

Sneaking up on final dims is the key. And you may still find some movement even after that!

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
I would crosscut it into little 1" thick squares, then cut each one into quarters, and then glue them back together until you reach the length you need for the legs.

OK, not really, but it was the only answer that wasn't already taken.

K

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would crosscut it into little 1" thick squares, then cut each one into quarters, and then glue them back together until you reach the length you need for the legs.

OK, not really, but it was the only answer that wasn't already taken.

K
Kevin - sometimes we miss you when you are gone for long periods...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS