Custom Made Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Rick, DaveO still pops in from time, but isn't doing much ww'ing lately I don't think. I saw him a few weeks ago and he's doing well and staying busy both at work and home.

Brian.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like a site I'd like to hook up with after I retire from 'public' work....

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Looks like a site I'd like to hook up with after I retire from 'public' work....

I did one big commission through them, but not taking in more, as work has me in Germany for a while. Not sure if I want to do this again though, it went very well with a very pleased client, but the pressure of meeting deadlines and pleasing someone else took all the fun out of it. Taught me to love my real job a lot more.

I got a request last week for a table and chairs exactly as in my portfolio, but declined as I am not home.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Does anyone know how often they accept "new artists"?

Willemjm: Does the site set deadlines or was it the customer? Did you deal local or shipped? How often do you get hits?

wdkits1

New User
Mike
I joined CustomMade about 3 years ago with the intention of having a place to showcase some of my intarsia pieces. Since then they have gone through many changes and have grown to be one of the best sites available for the small guy to pick up work. The way it works is the client posts a job on the job board they would like to have done. They give details of the job, their price range, and location. The Makers look at the job board and if they would like to do the job, express interest. The client then selects the maker by reviewing the maker's portfolio and work out all the details-price, shipping date, payment schedule,etc.The maker pays a commission to CM for the job. Once the client receives the product they are prompted to write a review of the project and maker. The more reviews you get the further up the ladder you go on the job board

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Does anyone know how often they accept "new artists"?

Willemjm: Does the site set deadlines or was it the customer? Did you deal local or shipped? How often do you get hits?

They accept any maker in the US. Takes a few days.
I set the deadline with the customer but the whole agreement has to be done through the Custom Made site. A week before the deadline, Custom Made sends a reminder and if you are behind, you have to update the customer agreement again through the Custom Made web site. My customers were all local, so I invite them to my shop and to come look at my work, then just keep Custom Made informed. I delivered and installed. Custom Made is really just after their commission, so they want you to do all the communication through their web site.

I normally deal directly with the customer and just copy them with a little detail, so they know when to invoice me, just to keep things honest.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
I've been a member for about a year now. I've had several sales of higher dollar custom ordered pens. Not much in the last few months though.

They are very active in promoting on twitter and facebook as well and they do get decent traffic. But just like everything, you have to get found and stand out when someone is looking for your product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors