Custom Inlays

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I was looking around for medallion type of inlays. I notice that Rockler, and others offer these types of inlays. They come attached to a paper material that keeps the inlay together.

Installation From Rockler:
Applying inlays is really quite simple. The most popular way is to rout out a panel the exact size and shape, just a shade shallower than the inlay. Glue down with the clean of face side down. After the work has dried sufficiently, remove paper backing by wetting with water and sanding off. Now you're all ready for sealing and finishing.

My question is, if you make your own inlays in this fashion, what would you use to hold the inlay together until you put it in your piece? Or would you use a different technique altogether?

nelsone

New User
Ed
I haven't made any...yet! My understanding is the tape is applied to the show side of the veneer and sanded/scraped once it is applied to the substrate. I have one of the marquetry kits from Woodcraft that I want to get started on and will incorporate it in something. Please take some pics if you decide to do this.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've only done a few and a long time ago, but I recall using white glue to mount the pieces to brown paper (grocery bag) and then mounting the whole piece into the recess with the same glue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors