Custom Bass Guitar Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazdaman

New User
Steve
Just want to show you all my first bass guitar I built. I've built other guitars but never a bass.

This one was incredibly challenging because the body has a radius to it. Nothing was flat so jigs and templates were very difficult. Please let me know what you think. I'm looking to start doing this full time if I can find buyers. If anyone knows someone that would like a custom bass build, please let me know.

Also a big shout out to Randall Kepley for shooting the final clear of conversion varnish. Man this stuff is amazing. Hard as a rock and manageable within 20 min. I learned a lot too just watching and listening. Thanks Randall!

I will be getting some professional photo's up soon.

http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd405/szonce/BassGuitarBuild/?albumview=slideshow

nelsone

New User
Ed
Guys, y'all really need to see this thing. Steve did a great job! It's been a lot of fun bouncing ideas back and forth during the build!

Steve, congrats on a work of art! Too bad you have to give it away!!! Guess you'll have to make another one!

sazdaman

New User
Steve
Haha, sorry already promised it to a good buddy.
Drogar-Cry%28DBG%29.gif

sazdaman

New User
Steve
I used pickups from Bartoni, best stuff on the market in my opinion. I had it pre-wired with active/passive volume, Bass/treble/mid.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I used pickups from Bartoni, best stuff on the market in my opinion. I had it pre-wired with active/passive volume, Bass/treble/mid.

I used a bartolini BD soap in my 2nd bass build, I was not all that impressed really, first they are expensive and second I can't get enough volume out of it. The tone is good though, just not enough output. Since mine is wrapped in black plastic there is no way I can see to open them up to recharge or replace the magnets.

sazdaman

New User
Steve
If you don't locate your pickups in the correct position, then output can be very low. There is a mathematical formula for correctly locating them. I've had great luck with Bartoni. Great punch and sound control.

Good luck.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
If you don't locate your pickups in the correct position, then output can be very low. There is a mathematical formula for correctly locating them. I've had great luck with Bartoni. Great punch and sound control.

Good luck.

Yep I got it in the "sweet spot". I know it has enough windings (resistance) I just think the magnets are wimpy and need to be recharged or upgraded. But no way to get it apart to work on it. I thought about sending it back several times, for repair or exchange but never did and probably wont ever get around to doing it. Right out of the box it was just a wimpy pup.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Yep I got it in the "sweet spot". I know it has enough windings (resistance) I just think the magnets are wimpy and need to be recharged or upgraded. But no way to get it apart to work on it. I thought about sending it back several times, for repair or exchange but never did and probably wont ever get around to doing it. Right out of the box it was just a wimpy pup.

Hate that you aren't having luck with the Bertolini's... I played a Roscoe Bass a friend of mine has and they were freaking sweet. I guess it's possible you could have gotten a bad set. I had planned on putting those on a bass when I ever build one. I'd be interested to know if you get the issue resolved either through a fix or replacement.

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
Guys if you think this thing looks good in the pix, you havent seen anything! It was in my shop 3 - 4 hrs monday night and it is spectacular! ! ! Glad I could play a little part in this and BTW Ive been at this game for over 20 yrs and I can say the build is first rate and the 2 halves ( sapele and burl ) that is glued together has one of the tightest glue joints I have ever seen on anything. And I am a stickler from **** on certain things like that and Im telling you it is FLAWLESS ! Great Job Steve Id be proud to help you anytime. R.K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS