Curly maple toy chest finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergy

New User
Fergy
Finished this two days before Christmas.

DSC02062.jpg

DSC02149.jpg

Frame and panel construction built from maple plywood and curly maple. Legs are hard maple from Kyle. Top and bottom are 1/2" ply, sides are 1/4" MDF core ply. Top frame is attached with plywood splines in the edge of the 1/2" ply.

Unfortunately, none of the easy-close hardware works for this, since there's a rim on the top of the sides that the lid rests on. Apparently all of the easy-close lid supports are made for a box with a 3/4" back wall and no rim. I've got one last try coming from Lee Valley right now, otherwise my kids get to learn to be careful, just like we did when we were kids.

Finish is Transtint alcohol dye base, then danish oil that was wet sanded with a maroon scotchbrite and allowed to dry several days. I ran out of Deftoil, and had to switch to Watco, which is a mistake. I do not like the Watco brand at all, but unfortunately Klingspor was the only place in Charlotte that carried it.

Following the Danish oil were several coats of sprayed shellac, then sprayed pre-cat lacquer as the final coat. I'm waiting a few more days before I wax it down for the final treatment.

The Danish oil penetrated and increased the contrast of the curl, and also helped to remove some of the excess dye. The wet sanding process pulled out a lot of the dye which helped the figure.

The shellac really increased the chatoyance of the wood. The lacquer actually decreased it, which surprised me. However, being that it's a toy chest, it needs the extra protection that the lacquer provides.

The panels were not sanded to a fine enough grit before dying, resulting in splotching. Surpisingly, the b-side of the plywood looks much better than the a-side, but my wife voted on the a-side due to a little less-crazy figure.

The curly maple was sanded to 320 before dying, which really helped with the splotching.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
That is one BEAUTIFUL toy chest! In 20 years, your boys are going to be fighting over who gets it!

Great wood choice and great construction!

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Outstanding !!!!! The figure in the maple looks to be on fire. I really like that vs the standard clear finish or even the orange look some put on cm. When I saw the kids in it the first thing I looked for was the lid stays ( before I read the whole post ). They will get a lot of good use out of it and may some day pass it on to their children.

Mike

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, the wood looks like it's aflame!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Beautiful job on the finish. Great look. I agree that box will be arouind for a very long time. :gar-Bi

Chuck

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Great job on the toy chest. I didn't know it came with kids!

Red

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Very nice.. I bet the CM is more impressive in person.
I suppose you thought about routing a clearance slot for the hinges and determined it wouldn't work?

fergy

New User
Fergy
Very nice.. I bet the CM is more impressive in person.
I suppose you thought about routing a clearance slot for the hinges and determined it wouldn't work?

Yes, because they would have to attach into the rail on the back wall, and I figured the torque over time would destroy it. This is all stub tenons, so the stiles aren't helping alot in the middle of those pieces. Even though I could have glued in the panels, I didn't because I pre-finished through the shellac stage, so the glue wouldn't have gotten a bite.

I tried the normal spring supports, I tried the hood lifter supports, and I even tried the normal friction lid supports. None of them works. I even fashioned metal brackets that hang from the bottom of the rim to help with that, but the friction brackets aren't long enough. So now I'm trying the "viscous coupling" supports from Lee Valley. I'm assuming they will need to attach to the metal brackets and hang from the rim.

The lid itself can't open past the angle you see in the second picture because the lid is larger than the rim, and the hinge is inset from the back edge of that lid. So, once you open it up, the back of the lid hits the rim. I was surprised that I'm not more worried about that force, but it looks okay. If they wanted to get nuts, I'm sure they could break the lid off, but it's not as fragile as I imagined.

fergy

New User
Fergy
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm just happy that I finished a project. I only started this 4 weeks ago, so I had to move pretty fast with the amount of spare time I had.

I was also surprised at how much finish this thing soaked up. 3 quarts of shellac, and 1 gallon of pre-cat lacquer went onto it. It's pretty well sealed. I was having problems with my lacquer applications because I was actually applying them too thin. Once I got the application right, I was very happy with the finish. There was a lot of applying and sanding as I went.

And the final thing I did was spray the entire thing with pure lacquer thinner to get rid of the "frosting". I don't know if the other lacquer users have this problem as well, but I was flashing off so fast that I was winding up with a lot of lacquer frost, especially in the inside of the box.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
That is some of the worst wood working I have ever seen. You should just let me "get rid of it" for you.:gar-Bi You can keep the kids though.:rotflm::rotflm: I have one and he is enough.

Seriously, that is a beaut!! Nice work.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I still can't get over the figure in that wood, boy that looks great. One question - isn't your heart going to bleed whenever a toy is thrown against the chest or things are dumped inside or something else dings that beautiful wood?

fergy

New User
Fergy
I've already resigned myself to the fact that it's going to happen. It's also why there are so many layers of lacquer on it. That stuff is pretty hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS