Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
WorkSharp 3000. For anything that's too wide, sandpaper/ scary sharp.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I only use the sandpaper method...I put this together few months ago - it's just plate glass secured to 3/4" MDF with 6 different grit sandpaper from 120 - 1500 grit. The paper is just spray-adhesived to the glass. It works really well.

0723081117.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use the sand paper for regular maintenance.

When I buy a new one or pick one up at a sale then it usually needs major work and that takes a belt sander or a diamond plate.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
I use a WorkSharp 3000 to sharpen my tools, too. Well, mostly my friends' tools. Before that I didn't realize my tools weren't sharp.

And if I haven't said it lately, thank you again Steve for the picnic and the door prize.

woodrat

New User
Archie
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Question for the ones that use sandpaper...what do you
use as a way to hold the angle correctly? :icon_scra

Thanks,

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use a high speed grinder and artificial (Ceramic?) waterstones.

I used scary sharp for a long time until I read a article in FWW #198 May-June 2008 by Joel Moscowitz. Now I get better, faster, less expensive (in the long run) results using a high speed grinder to establish the initial bevel followed by honing on artificial Japanese waterstones. I grind the initial bevel with a blue 60 grit wheel followed by a pink 120 grit wheel and then work through 1000, 5000 and 8000 'Superstones'
( http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...op&Product_Code=MS-SSWAT.XX&Category_Code=THW )
without a guide. The wheels are dressed with a diamond multipoint wheel dresser and are crowned (like a bicycle tire), This crown allows only a small section of the blade touching at any time and won't overheat the steel using Joel's technique. The Superstones are pretty fuss free and don't need pre-soaking and constant leveling just a spritz of water from an old Windex spraybottle.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Well, to start with, I sharpen over 1,000 blades/cutters a year. Speed is essential for me. I use a Norton pink wheel (fine, I think) on a high speed grinder & keep a Cool Whip tub of water on the stand for constant dunking. Then I use 220 aluminum oxide paper on a marble floor tile, followed by 400. The paper is not glued down because I change it too frequently. Does not seem to make a difference. I also do this freehanded and rarely spend more than 3 min per blade. They end up sharp enough to shave with.

Practice should help you develop a feel for proper angle and should also help you develop a technique for consistency. I like long diagonal swipes on the paper. One or two swipes raises a wire that a short back rub will remove. Works for me. I graduated from a Tormek which taught me what a sharp edge looked like. These days I hardly use the old T.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Question for the ones that use sandpaper...what do you
use as a way to hold the angle correctly? :icon_scra

Thanks,

I started out using a carriage bolt with washers and wing-nuts for my plane irons (bolt head on the surface going through the slot on the blade with a wingnut and washer on both top and bottom of blade). This allowed me to adjust to whatever angle I wanted. I still use this method for my scrub plane irons, as it allows me to get a consistent bevel on a radical radius. For my chisels I was using a homemade clamp made from a marine antenna mount made to clamp on a bow rail.

I am now primarily using a $15 empire type guide (the sides clamp the blade or chisel and it has a fairly narrow roller underneath) I bought at Klingspor's.

For my flat spokeshave blade, and for some scraper blades that are too short to use the empire, I just use vise-grips.

However, the next time I am at Klingspor's, I will be buying the Veritas, as it looks much better suited for the plane irons and wider chisels.

HTH

Go

woodrat

New User
Archie
I appreciate all the good help and advice.

I need to get out my old Stanley (about 30 years old)
and spruce it up for working with. Never sharpened one
before.

Thank you again for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS