curious comparison

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I thought I'd share this amusing photo of contrasts of scale. Belt sander vs hand plane. No, its not photoshopped.

1     CC - 1.jpg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Check out the first generation B&D drills. It was as big as that sander. We have come a long way! Even a #4 would look small.

I saw a #1 in a display a while back. Cute. Not sure if they have any use other than collecting.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I wish I could have had a camera. I drove my Morgan to work one day and parked next to a F-350. It was comical as the top of my windscreen was at about the bottom of the Ford's door.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I'm like Scott I don't know what it good for, but I've been wanting one for a long time just to sit in the shop.

Pop

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I've got a couple of the Stanley versions of that 33, one with the squirrel tail. Those, I actually find far more useful than the Stanley #1.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I can see the #33 as useful. I just ordered a LN 102. Veritas makes a squirrel tail for their small plane as well.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Check out the first generation B&D drills. It was as big as that sander. We have come a long way! Even a #4 would look small.

I saw a #1 in a display a while back. Cute. Not sure if they have any use other than collecting.
Probably at Klingspor. It has been for sale for at least 5 years that I have been going there. I think he want $1500. David who has a #1 Stanley plane.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yea, I think so. No box in the display. I was looking for a #5 bedrock, but I guess everyone else is too. So, eventually I'll save up for another WoodRiver.

Price? Well at least the #1 is rare. Not like the Craigs List sellers who think ever old bailey is worth $1000 or more.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I see hand planes for sale from time to time, but they are at estate sales, yard sales, and people cleaning out basements. Rarely, if ever, do I see them for sale from internet sources unless they are offered by resellers looking to make a significant profit.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS