Cupola plans?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Anyone ever built a cupola? Mine on my shop finally rotted after about 18 years. Replaced the roof on the shop and the roofer removed it for me. Sooo, I have the copper top which I'd like to reuse if possible. This will probably be a Fall/Winter project.

All in put welcome!

:rolleyes:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
A friend of mine just built one for the roof of his shop. I could ask him if he would share the plan. You'll likely need to modify it to fit your copper. He had a new copper top made for his.

joec

joe
User
I have built two for my house. The first one was my first project in my shop. I used Norm's plan and they are both in good shape after over 25 years for the first one. The 2nd one is about 5 years old.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I have built two for my house. The first one was my first project in my shop. I used Norm's plan and they are both in good shape after over 25 years for the first one. The 2nd one is about 5 years old.

Where did you find the plans?
A friend of mine just built one for the roof of his shop. I could ask him if he would share the plan. You'll likely need to modify it to fit your copper. He had a new copper top made for his.

That would be great!

joec

joe
User
I found the plans on the New Yankee Workshop. You can find them online and they have (or had) a store you can purchase from.

joec

joe
User
The New Yankee plan calls for a copper roof, which I had made locally (the most expensive part by far).

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I built one for my barn/shop in 1985. Built it on the ground and then with neighbors' help slid it up a ladder with extensions to the top of the 25 ft high barn.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I did one for a friend many years ago before digital cameras (and while I still had hair). He had the copper work done by others. It sat on sort of a pyramid top roof. I cheated on the slats. Bought some louvered bifold doors and cut them up. Actually I'd planned that from the beginning. No way I was going to make louvers. The frame sides are mortise and tenon clear all heart old growth redwood.
The roof sheathing was two coats of 1/4" A-C Douglas fir plywood.
Painted the inside of the louvers with two coats before it was installed on the roof by a crane.

The roof corners were a fun exercise with a compass plane.

1 cupola - 1.jpg

1 cupola - 2.jpg

1 cupola - 4.jpg

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I did one for a friend many years ago before digital cameras (and while I still had hair). He had the copper work done by others. It sat on sort of a pyramid top roof. I cheated on the slats. Bought some louvered bifold doors and cut them up. Actually I'd planned that from the beginning. No way I was going to make louvers. The frame sides are mortise and tenon clear all heart old growth redwood.
The roof sheathing was two coats of 1/4" A-C Douglas fir plywood.
Painted the inside of the louvers with two coats before it was installed on the roof by a crane.

The roof corners were a fun exercise with a compass plane.

View attachment 186422

View attachment 186423

View attachment 186425
Wow! Nice work!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS