Cucumber tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
I have never tried it but this is what Wood Magazine says about it.....

Today, southern magnolia and cucumber, its cousin, represent a significant slice of the southeastern hardwood lumber industry. Marketed as magnolia, both woods find their way into the hands of knowing craftsmen.
Working properties:
Magnolia has hard, fine-textured, straight-grained wood that some people might mistake for maple. And, like maple, magnolia works easily with power tools. It also won't warp when thin-sawed, turns well, and steam bends.
Because magnolia resists splitting and glues exceptionally well, you'll have no trouble joining it. You can plane the wood to a smooth surface that requires little sanding. Due to its fine grain, you won't have to use filler before finishing with your choice of paint, stain, or clear coatings.

Sounds like a go to me. :icon_thum

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
A friend gave me a couple trees for carving,I just have to get to Jonas Ridge to pick it up.
Tony

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I just turned a mushroom box and a solid-shell drum from magnolia... at least that's what BobN told me it was. VERY easy to turn. Actually enjoyed working it after wrestling with some very dry oak. The natural wood was very lightly grained (barely noticeable). With any finish on it, the grain popped out. It's also fairly light wood (low density).

So, I have no idea if the cucumber is just like it, but since it's in the same genus, I'd think it was at least similar. Apparently, it's frequently sold as yellow poplar, aka tuliptree/tulip poplar (the non-poplar poplar). ;)

m_box2b.JPG

drum1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS