Cuban Mahognany

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncfromnc

New User
neil
Hi all, I have a piece of cuban mahogany that I have listed on Craigslist (Asheville). I have it listed for $350.00. I would like to offer it to the ncwoodworker community here at a discount.....$300.00
The piece is about 7 board ft. it is 2.25"-2.5" thick throughout and is an oval cookie. this piece of wood has an interesting history. I bought this and some other pieces from a man in Jonesbourough TN. He said he had salvaged it with a friend when he was a landscaper in the 1980's. Apparently the piece and quite a bit more had been left behind in the 1880's on Lignum Vitae Key in the Florida Keys by the Spanish Navy as they cut a large mahogany for a sail mast.
The piece is old growth and quite dense. It is a stunning piece of wood and more than big enough for a chair seat (have enough other pieces to make a chair if interested) The piece is 7 board feet (approx,) and weighs 42lbs! the growth rings are very tight. I have attached a couple pics here and there are many more on the advertisement on Craigslist Asheville Materials. The piece is in Weaverville, NC.
thanks, Neil 828 215 6932 or PM me.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• mahog6.jpg
    mahog6.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 252
  • mahog3.jpg
    mahog3.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 242
  • mahog10.jpg