Cross-country moving costs for ww equipment

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to sell my machines here and replace them, or move them from NC to Oregon. Does anyone have experience with moving shop equipment (table saw, bandsaw, jointer/planer) long distances? Is it better to go with the household mover or look for a specialized company? What are the costs? Thanks,

FlyingRon

Ron
I can tell you my Delta table saw was never the same after I moved form NJ to VA. A reasonable careful mover should be able to move it but these clowns weren't. They also destroyed my wife's beautiful propagation table I made her because they "disassembled it" (it was glued together). Note the valuation on things will be cents on the pound if they break it and you don't pay their exorbitant additional insurance fees. Moving is quite a racket. I don't know what to suggest to you though.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Moved my shop to Texas, which included BS, TS(52"), and 16-42 lathe, etc, etc.
Only issues were 1) old Delta chop saw slide off a table while loading and snapped a foot off;
2) the Jet air cleaner stopped operating, but took out the control panel and use the inline switch now.
Miss the speed and shut-off options, but since it is mounted on eight foot ceilings I don't even need
a stool to get to the switch.
Difficult loading and unloading the heavy stuff. I-20 ruff in spots. Took the southern route around
the Appalachians through Atlanta, so don't have any advice for your route. Hard to go to dinner, park,
and fuel, but Penske didn't let us down for five one way loads. That being said, good friends sold
everything they couldn't take in their van and went to Eugene, but Duane is not a woodworker.
Wouldn't want to do it again, as I'm 70+
Ed

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
If you go on the web and type in "choosing a reliable moving company" there is a lot of information. I am also moving long distance and sold all my big machinery in that I'm certain there can be serious issues with breakage, etc. and I don't want to take that chance.
I'm taking all of the hand tools, sanders, drills as well as the smaller items that should travel well as long as packed right. I'm using a lot of bubble wrap as well as "heavy duty" cartons I bought from Home Depot and loads of heavy duty scotch tape. Costco right now has an 8 roll package of Scotch packing tape for about $15. It's about $3.50 a roll in HD. Getting boxes from liquor stores, etc. of course is cheaper than buying but I just needed too many to go hunting them down.
The issue I am dealing with is getting rid of some tools that I've been married to for years but never use. I just have to close my eyes and get rid of them.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
We chose the most highly rated moving company in town when we moved from NC to SC & they were terrible. I moved almost all of the small tools my self, but could not move the large ones. None were damaged in the move, but that was just luck as they ignored instructions on how to move; where not to lift; etc. I think you might be better off to sell the big tools and re-buy for a trip of that length. Or rent a Penske with a tail gate lift and drive the big tools yourself. That way you know where they are and that they were loaded and lashed down securely.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
We have moved 4 times in the last 20 years, all were done by "professionals". My delta contractor saw has survived all of them, but I take care to prepare it beforehand. Everything that can reasonably disassemble comes off, I always take the fence in my own vehicle, and every cast iron surface get covered with spray on grease then a throwaway plastic tablecloth. On our last move however, they broke my 6" jointer - probably putting too much weight on the table. You just have to think thru how are they going to break this object, and can I defend against it. If it's something you really care about you can always have them crate it, but that'll cost extra. And they can still lose it. Anything plastic like switch boxes will get broken so remove anything hanging outside the box shape of the machine. If i had to move again, I would probably sell the jointer, make them crate the planer and the bandsaw, and prep the tablesaw like I have in the past.
But I just don't want to move again!
Good luck.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I think some of the answer depends on your current machines. Are they good quality and are you happy with them?

Also worth considering, the west coast seems to have a lot of older/better/heavier/etc machines and prices seem lower than locally, at least to me. So if replacing, Oregon is probably a good place to find some nice old machines.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had good experience with "All my Sons" moving but I only moved from Cary to Floyd, VA. I had them pack up the kitchen and move all the shop equipment and furniture. Only had a few scrapes and scratches on the furniture. The shop equipment arrived fine. I did have one cabinet on wheels that got away from them and rolled off the edge of the truck. Didn't make any claims on that as it was made by me so I'll just fix it.

Not sure this is helpful as I doubt that they would go all the way to Oregon. The one issue you might run into is the extra weight of the shop equipment. They almost ended up having to use a second truck (with major additional cost) due to the weight limits of the truck - nothing to do with the volume of the items. They were pretty heavily loaded.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
My BIL moved down to Costa Rica from Tenn. He got a container and loaded it up with his stuff. Then the company picked up the loaded container and shipped it to Costa Rica where he unloaded it. Worked out okay for him. He didn't move any heavy tools, though, just furniture and suchlike.

Roy G

Hjanes

Harlan
User
We moved from northern Illinois to eastern NC some years ago, and our stuff had to go into storage between the venues. Mover helped me estimate total cost per pound which came to a large number. So we put a $$ value on each item based on shipping costs to evaluate the sell or move option. As a result, I sold most of my stationary woodworking equipment there. And somehow that also allowed me to upgrade in the new shop. Only my air compressor and drill press made the trip from amongst the stationary stuff. Good Luck.
H.J.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to sell my machines here and replace them, or move them from NC to Oregon. Does anyone have experience with moving shop equipment (table saw, bandsaw, jointer/planer) long distances? Is it better to go with the household mover or look for a specialized company? What are the costs? Thanks,
Having bought lots of equipment online I can tell you youd probably be better off selling locally and rebuying. Shipping costs can get extremely high when you palletized things like cabinet saws etc. Unless your equipment is extremely high end, shipping all the way across the country wouldnt be worth it. For instance, It cost me $900 to ship my Laguna carver (1100#) from AZ to NC. Shipping rates vary depending on the type of machinery being shipped, if its used or new and its weight per cubic foot plus insurance.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
When we moved from the GA-SC border to NC, I bought a cargo trailer, hitch and brake unit for around $5k new. I made multiple trips hauling household goods with the final trip being a Kubota tractor and all the tools. Whole lot more tools now, however. Drove the truck and trailer to Sunday lunch near the mall with a for sale sign on it and a phone number. Sold the trailer the next week for $5k and kept the hitch and brake control unit.

YMMV

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
You might want to check into availability of the tools you will need to repurchase. Some areas of the country have real low supplies of used equipment. Of course that could be good news if there are local suppliers of new tools ie no huge shipping costs.

The first time I moved, the mover said no problem to the Unisaw, a 12" planer, and 6" jointer. He said he had moved tools before. I showed him the G force glass bulb I was attaching to each machine and he refused to move anything with those attached. Ended up moving myself with friends, we were in our 20's then.

The only good results I had with moving heavy tools is I used professional machinery movers once, they were insured for damage and actually knew what the machine was and how to rig it - like blocking the motor in the Unisaw so bumps would not stress the casting and disassembled the fence system on the jointer and crated it separately. Cost a bundle back in early 80's but was worth it to me.

Bob

RayH

New User
Ray
My experience with furniture long-distance moves is that regardless of the company, it's a crap shoot controlled by the driver that gets your load. Thankfully I managed to sell my entire shop to a retiring neighbor prior to our move out here.

I will point out that one of the few Grizzly retail stores is out here in the great NW. That would be a local move for delivery.;)

Good luck on your move.
Ray

Runk

New User
Runk
My experience with furniture long-distance moves is that regardless of the company, it's a crap shoot controlled by the driver that gets your load. Thankfully I managed to sell my entire shop to a retiring neighbor prior to our move out here.

I will point out that one of the few Grizzly retail stores is out here in the great NW. That would be a local move for delivery.;)

Good luck on your move.
Ray
I

I have moved my shop and the entire house hold goods from MN to Eastern NC. It took three trips in a rented Pensky truck. I don't think we had anything break. The machinery worked just like in MN when it was hooked up. I packed the truck and drove it. It can be done. At 70 I would not do it again but at 60 it seemed like the thing to do. Good luck with the move!!

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
We are moving to Florida next week and I am taking most of my machines. I took apart the Unisaw as much as I could. I am leaving everything everything else togeather.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Moving to Michigan next year. The only thing I may not take is my jointer. Seems like it would be way too easy to knock it out of whack because it's so top heavy.

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
We used U-Pack/ ABF when we moved from Minnesota to Tennessee. They bring a 28 foot trailer to your house. You have three days to load it. I bought a ton of ratchet straps to fasten the heavy stuff to the inside of the trailer.
Once you arrive at you new home, they deliver the trailer and you have three days to unload it.
The driver that picked up the empty trailer was impressed that I swept it clean for him.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
We used U-Pack/ ABF when we moved from Minnesota to Tennessee. They bring a 28 foot trailer to your house. You have three days to load it. I bought a ton of ratchet straps to fasten the heavy stuff to the inside of the trailer.
Once you arrive at you new home, they deliver the trailer and you have three days to unload it.
The driver that picked up the empty trailer was impressed that I swept it clean for him.
Bill-How do you pay for that? By the mile or pound? Any idea of the max weight?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS