Craftsman Table Saw Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldhippie1951

New User
Robert
This may be a stupid question but I need some post before I can post a request for parts in the FOR SALE forum anyway.

I picked up an older Craftsman table saw that's missing a few parts. I'm going to make my table extensions out of wood. eBay wants WAY too much for them!

The User Manual shows and describes in detail about bolting the cast iron extension to the table. It does NOT show or describe if it's bolted to the rails.

I'm talking about a standard width extension, nothing way out there. Is there any reason not to attach an extension to the 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" x 1/4" angle iron rails? Am I just missing something here?

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
If I remember correctly the angle iron pieces are the guide rails for the fence. As long as the fence is not affected it should make no difference. Just check that everything is level side to side and front to back. However, I do not think it is really needed. Mine takes 4 bolts along that edge and it is rock solid with just those bolts. I do not run the original fence. I have installed a Delta T2 and it is quite stiff.

Wooden table extensions seem like a perfectly good excuse to make a couple of torsion boxes and take advantage of their strength and rigidity.

You might also look for a couple of spare saw tops and just bolt them on or find another saw and bolt the two of them together for a dedicated dado machine. That is if you have the space among other things.

A photo of the machine in question and the saw model# would help a lot. Sears has made a ton of saws over the years.

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Look carefully at your rail angles. They are usually spaced away from the top. You will need to do the same with your extension and make it no deeper than the original top (usually 27"). This is needed because on most 'Kenmore' saws the fence rides against the inside of the rail on the in-feed side using a nylon glide. It is spring loaded for wear compensation but it is needed to keep the fence parallel to the blade. Be sure to check with a straightedge and be sure the angle rail doesn't warp when you tighten it down. Also, be sure the rails stay parallel to themselves so the fence can be tightened in place if you have a cam lever style fence lock.
I replaced the rail angle on my saw with shallow Unistrut to increase the rip capacity. It is the same depth as the angle and can be drilled to accommodate any table extension length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors