Craftsman Radial arm saw motor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeddi67

New User
Jeddi
So I'm new here and thought I'd seek out some input on one of my tools. I have an mid 1980's Craftsman Radial Arm saw with cabinet (like this one) that my Dad gave to me.

About 6 months ago, the motor blew out on the saw. I used it to make some quick cross cuts, there was a bit of smoke, then the motor stopped working altogether. Question: can the motor be repaired or do you think it's shot?

any help or ideas would be appreciated. thanks.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Most likely the start capacitor gave up. It's a small black cylinder located in the end of the motor.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
If you can remove the cover on the back side of the motor, look for the capacitor as junquecol has suggested. If it shows any burning, especially around the end where the wires attach, you will need a new one. Most motor shops can sell you one or you can find them online. You will need to replace it with the same MFD rating and voltage as on the present one and the real problem comes when you find one that is right electricly, but it is the wrong size or shape to fit inside the cover. Make sure you buy one that is not only electrically the same, but also the right size and shape.

If the capacitor has no burn marks it may still be bad. Also, the centrifugal start switch that's under the end cover may not be working correctly. It has to connect the capacitor to power when the motor is stopped and open when the motor reaches about 1/2 of it's rated speed. The motor shop can quickly test the capacitor for you. Also look at the motor windings for any burning. If you find damage here the motor is likely toast. These motors can be re-wound, but it is very expensive ($300-500). Emerson (the mfg of these saws) has a safety recall on them where they will either give you cash for sending them the motor (in any condition) or they will send a new blade guard and table to upgrade your saw for free (but it's useless with a burned motor). If the motor is toast, your best option would be to send it to them and use the cash reward to buy a replacement saw. Get your model and serial number off the tag on the back of the table frame of your saw and go to this website for more information . http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

Charley

jeddi67

New User
Jeddi
Thanks Charles and junquecol for the info. I'll take the motor apart and check the capacitor and from there follow Charles suggestions. I didn't realize Emerson had a recall offer on these so that's very helpful too.

thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS