craftsman jointer drive belt

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I have an old Craftsman 6" jointer mod #21788 that finally broke it's drive belt over the weekend :( Sears says the part number is 18738.00 . Amazon shows the part but the pic shows a plain belt and this one is grooved ......I know it's just a pic but I don't trust it for an online purchase. I cannot locate the part anywhere else but I am sure I am missing some obvious sources . Any ideas ?

TIA :D

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
When you say a "grooved belt", do you mean a Poly-V Belt like THIS? (Note: this is just representative, not the actual belt you'd need.)

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I just picked up a similar belt on eBay. Mine is for the craftsman band saw. Check this out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121194424615?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
just be careful that the alignment is good after you replace. I have been struggling with the belt coming off when shutting down... It's driving me crazy. 

You can verify alignment of the two pulleys using a straightedge.

However, your problem could also be due to inadequate tension (or a combination of both). When you power down the saw the "slack side" of the belt swaps sides and if there is inadequate tension this could cause the belt to work loose as well.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
that is exactly right, but I have not counted the ribs ....I will do that tomorrow :icon_thum

On your existing belt there should be a part number such as "410J6" (which is a 41.0-inch 'J' belt with 6 ribs, hence the part number "410J6"). Using this part number you can order the exact belt you need from anyone who stocks the belt and know that you are getting the right part.

mcsincnj

New User
Mike Miller
You can verify alignment of the two pulleys using a straightedge.

However, your problem could also be due to inadequate tension (or a combination of both). When you power down the saw the "slack side" of the belt swaps sides and if there is inadequate tension this could cause the belt to work loose as well.

I just wanted to let you know that I finally checked the alignment of the two pulleys. Using a streight edge, I could see the alignment was off by about 1/8". I realigned them and it seems to be staying on. Thanks again, lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS