Craftsman Cabinet saw returned to service. Finally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
For way to long, when asked what I was working on, my reply was restoring an old cabinet saw. So, last night I finished hooking up the electrics. It is done except for the ruler tape on the fence and a router table extension that needs bolting on. So, now when I asked I can say something else. Looking forward to using this. Hopefully, this will be a long term saw.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
The handsaw shouldn't take as long to complete.

I hope not. Just have to figure out where to start.

Saw group.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Now I see why you are concerned about a file wearing out.

But, I have to say my cheap Nicholson files last through several sharpenings...

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Looks good. Have you calibrated everything yet? How does it cut?

I did calibrate it using a dial indicator and a mount that runs in the slots. The Fence is an easy adjust. The arbor has about 0.001 - 0.002" runout, I am going to play with that if I see problems in my cuts. So, vertically the blade has 0.002" runout and at 45 it is 0.007" I don't do a lot of angled cuts and could not work up the energy to shim the trunnions to reduce that. It is a beastly heavy saw to heave around.

I took a couple of cross cuts and it eats through a 2x6 oak without burning. I plan to do some more cuts, measure out with ruler and square to check the alignment, but ran out of time to play.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
Wow. Nice job. My son is in the middle of restoring a big metal lathe. You both amaze me with your patience and prowess in restoration.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Wow. Nice job. My son is in the middle of restoring a big metal lathe. You both amaze me with your patience and prowess in restoration.

I've thought about redoing a small bench lathe, but fortunately I have resisted that slippery slope. Restoring a lathe is several orders of magnitude more complicated than my restoration. I wish him well.

Danagawa

New User
D
After seeing the before and after pics I spent all day working on my table saw. Very inspirational stuff

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
After seeing the before and after pics I spent all day working on my table saw. Very inspirational stuff

Hope you had a productive day. That Powermatic looks like a wonderful saw. Did you decide about replacing the bearings? Looking forward to photos.

Danagawa

New User
D
I have most the the rust off the top. I took the rails off. I haven't decided about the bearings yet. I think they are fine, but I am still a little torn about if I want to change the bearings while I have the top off. How hard is it to replace the bearings? From looking online they aren't expensive, I am just worried about bending something.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey Mike - great job, that came out great!

I passed the one I rebuilt on to my father-in-law when I stepped up to a Powermatic, and he still uses it regularly - it's a workhorse for sure - you'll get lots of life out of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS