Craft Show display question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I know some of you folks have participated in craft shows, and I think I'm ready to throw my "hat into that ring". This could be both inside and outside shows. I know I need tables, some type of display, but what else do I need? Canopy? Booth curtains? If curtains, do I also need the frames/rods for hanging these curtains? If not curtains, how do I distinctly separate my booth from my neighbors if we are lined up in a row?

Thanks, in advance, for any guidance, suggestions.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Hey Cathy,
I'll send you a link I have that has lots of tips about craft shows. Stuff you might never think of until its too late.
I have an 'ezup' tent. 10x10 seems to be pretty standard for shows. Make sure you get WHITE! The first I had was a pretty blue one, I thought might stand out - most of the ones you see are white. The problems with blue or other colors is everything in the tent takes on odd colors. You can use the tent inside or out. The ezup has side curtains available, good again inside or out.
Every wish for a successful venture with your art!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cathy, I have done a few. A couple comments.

- For outside shows 10 x 10 canopies are pretty much the std. Some venues allow for larger but they are few and far between.

- Stick with the baisc white canopy. Again some venues only allow white. EZ-UP is the most common brand

- I used the basic 6' folding tables cover by a table cloth. You should have two

- Standing display racks need to be able to sit on slightly uneven ground and not tippy in a wind or accidentally brushed against. I am planning to improve my racks by converting to wire gridwall.

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
EZ Ups are the standard out there - But one piece of advice that's priceless, especially if you're doing outdoor shows is

EZ UP TENTS ALSO MAKE VERY GOOD KITES!

Be sure to weigh it down! I've seen lots of EZ ups take off, not stopping untill they hit another tent, customer, or car going down the road....

Also, Rather than a simple table - you may want to look at knock down pedistals, which position your products are varying heights, creating visual interest.

Best,
gregory

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Many venues require 40# weights on each leg. Look at square 4" x 4" PVC posts (cut into shorter lengths) filled with concrete, capped on one end with washered eye bolt thru the end cap. Square posts will not roll during transportation. Attach to top frame, not the leg, with adjustable ratchet straps. Have weights an inch off the ground. Attach weights to bottom of legs with bungees. Weigh the weights and record the weight on each weight. Use table leg extenders out of PVC pipe with cross bolts, not in the center. Have two lengths in same piece. As 4" and 6", or 6" & 8" . People do not like to look down. Thirty inch tables are too short. Have emergency plastic drop cloths. Have a light weight trashcan.

Have a light weight toolbox of supplies: duct tape, scotch tape, rubber bands, thumbtacks, string, sharpie pens, anything else that pertains to what your're selling, batteries, small parts that are easily lost, paper clips, scissors, box cutter, extra extension cord if usuing power, flashlight w/good batteries, tent patching kit, paper to record what you forgot for NEXT time, price tags, chemical hand warmers if cold weather, simple first aid kit: bandaids, tylenol, alcohol swabs, burn cream, insect bite swabs, Q-tips, personal medications, toilet paper, hand sanitizer. Don't forget that you will be in a strange place, eating strange food, sleeping in a strange bed and parked maybe a half-mile from your tent! Buy a bigger box than you think you need. It will get bigger as time goes by. Be prepared. Have fun!

Take plenty of water and food. $2 a bottle for water gets EXPENSIVE.

cskipper

Cathy
Does having the brand EZ UP matter or can a different brand that still is easy to set up and has attachable sides work as well?

aplpickr

New User
Bill
EZ up is commonly available with sides at Sam's. I got mine last year for $199. Others in this price range may be as good but not better. Better tents are domed and run $700 and UP. That is a stiff pill for a new crafter. Show fees are getting more expensive all the time. Pick your venue carefully!

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Cathy,
Lots of good info above.
The $199 EZ-Up at Sam's is about the best bang for the buck. Anything cheaper is a waste of money cause they won't last. The only easy-up style that is not EZ-UP brand that is highly recommended is Caravan. It may be spelled Karavan. Some of the seasoned folks I know use them. I've been using an EZ-Up dome but I can't recommend them because they have too many issues.
I'll try to PM or E-mail you some stuff I wrote up a year or two ago on this topic.
Rob

Don Alexander

New User
Don
i would be interested in any info/suggestions along this line as well

going to take the plunge into this venue with first show being Cary's Spring Daze at the end of April so much to do to get ready

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Very good advice from everyone so far. In fact I've seen shows specifically spell out you had to use the EZ-UP white version and no others.

I'll second the EZ-UP recommendations as we made the mistake of using an off brand blue one I picked up on sale somewhere instead of the EZ-UP we had access to and it wasn't fun to say the least. There were many things inferior when compared to the EZ-UP, lighter weight tubing, thinner fabric, larger leg angle....etc and the typhoon that swept through Lazy-Daze one summer really helped to pinpoint them all. :BangHead:

I've seen them at BJ's as well and will most likely pick one up there if we need another.

HTH,
Brian.

gator

George
Corporate Member
So far, no one has mentioned indoor venues. No canopy, no side walls, nothing to block the view of your booth from customers walking down the aisle. If you have or need a wall for display, put it in the rear of the booth.

George

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Cathy,

I did craft shows for 15 years (inside and outside). The EZup is what I used. Pay attention to the weight of the material it is made of when buying. I used the one with the 500 denier top vs the lighter weight. I also had the side curtains with zippers and velcro straps.

As far as display------------you will have to design your display to suit your product (I had too much display to deal with). Make allowances in the booth set-up for excess inventory, packaging supplies(bags), and other necessities so it will be out of sight. You will also need space for transactions(a place to lay a checkbook down and write a check). Indoor shows will usually require additional lighting if you want people to really "see" your work.

Make your display inviting---------different levels on attractive displays------some color----stable display because people will lean on them. Improving display is a never ending task sometimes. When and if you hit on a display that clicks for you----refine and stick with it.

Visit lots of shows and focus on the displays--------indoors and outdoor----avoid the things you see that turn you off. Make note of things that attract you.

Best of luck to you, Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS