Craft Center Update

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Since building and installing the countertop for the joint craft center that is shared by my wife and me, I have added some floating shelves (hers and his) at each end of the countertop work area and I built a paper storage cabinet for Adele's work materials. Next up will be two under-counter storage cabinets for either end of the work space. These will be on casters (just as the paper storage cabinet). I enjoy the building process, but I am not a huge fan of the painting process (Earlex HVLP).

8935A2D3-21C5-44F2-8734-85AE36E9503A.jpeg
8935A2D3-21C5-44F2-8734-85AE36E9503A.jpeg

525F9EAD-3843-4196-93E2-4CB60FB843C1.jpeg

CCD3B27E-1794-4BD1-B5F2-F3987C040243.jpeg

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice, great job. I am curious about the ship, I am currently working (slowly) on an easier model
I am taking a guess here - is that the HMS Agamemnon ??

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Very nice, great job. I am curious about the ship, I am currently working (slowly) on an easier model
I am taking a guess here - is that the HMS Agamemnon ??
Phil, indeed the ship is the Aggie (said to be Lord Nelson's favorite ship). It is huge, much bigger than my last build (Bounty). It has been awhile since I last worked on it...but once I finish with the craft area, I hope to work on it on a more consistent basis.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Where do you get the plans and wood cutouts for your ship models? HMS Bounty and HMS Armageddon.

The Agamemnon was a third-rate sailing ship with only 2 gun decks and it was longer and narrower than the first and second-rate warships with 3 gun decks. That made it sleeker, faster, and more maneuverable than its predecessors. Good traits for a warship engaged with another French or Spanish navy.

Last edited:

fulldec

Don
Corporate Member
Great looking space, lots of light! Do you have issues with dust control with the hobbies you do there?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Where do you get the plans and wood cutouts for your ship models? HMS Bounty and HMS Armageddon.

The Agamemnon was a third-rate sailing ship with only 2 gun decks and it was longer and narrower than the first and second-rate warships with 3 gun decks. That made it sleeker, faster, and more maneuverable than its predecessors. Good traits for a warship engaged with another French or Spanish navy.

Jeff, I bought the "kit" from Ages of Sails (Buy Model Boat Kits & Model Boat Kits, Tools & Books - Ages of Sail) I believe they are out of San Fransisco. The first model I purchased was from Cornwall (UK), it took several weeks for the product to arrive. Since then, if I need anything I order it from Age of Sails, if they have what I need in stock their deliveries are much more prompt. You may already know this, but when I say "kit", it is not like the plastic models I put together as a kid, where everything fit together and all you had to do was apply glue. These kits have everything you need, but they require a great of cutting, sanding, and bending as well as time, patience and finesse.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Great looking space, lots of light! Do you have issues with dust control with the hobbies you do there?

Don, on a day-to-day basis dust control is typically not an issue; while I do generate quite a bit of small wood fragments, I generally don't generate a whole lot of dust. I have a vacuum cleaner in our craft room which I use at the end of the day to clean up the floor around me and on my work space. That said, there can be a couple of occasions where you can generate a significant amount of dust (as an example, after the first planking I apply a filler along the entire hull, after it dries it is sanded)...although I am sanding the hull by hand, I take it to my shop where I am not concerned about dust migrating to my wife's area.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Donn, thanks.

I don't do models but was just curious about this kind of model. I did many of the plastic ones when I was a kid. USS Forrestal and USS Missouri.

I found the Armageddon model kit and the Armageddon is a huge model (51"l x 37" t to the mast head, x 19") . How long have you been working on it and what will you do with it when finished? Where will you display it?

Jeff, I bought the "kit" from Ages of Sails (Buy Model Boat Kits & Model Boat Kits, Tools & Books - Ages of Sail) I believe they are out of San Fransisco. The first model I purchased was from Cornwall (UK), it took several weeks for the product to arrive. Since then, if I need anything I order it from Age of Sails, if they have what I need in stock their deliveries are much more prompt. You may already know this, but when I say "kit", it is not like the plastic models I put together as a kid, where everything fit together and all you had to do was apply glue. These kits have everything you need, but they require a great of cutting, sanding, and bending as well as time, patience and finesse.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jeff, I am not sure what I'll do with it when it's complete...but, I'll find a place for it. Regarding the timeline, since I haven't been working on it as a matter of routine, it will take me five years to complete! That said, I know of builders that do work on a daily basis and it takes them around 18 months. The level of detail/complexity associated with these models is hard to describe for those unfamiliar with these kinds of builds.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The level of detail/complexity associated with these models is hard to describe for those unfamiliar with these kinds of builds.

I gathered that from looking at other websites with WIP pictures and descriptions. How did you get started making these complex models? Just curious.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jeff, it started with reading the Mutiny on the Bounty trilogy when I was in high school, followed by the Hornblower and Aubrey-Maturin sea novels. I have read many, many books of this genera, all of which stimulated my fascination with these ships, how they were constructed and sailed. Given the tools and technology that the early shipwrights had at their disposal, I am in awe of what the were able to accomplish!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I know them all and have read many of them except Nathaniel Hornblower. I particularly liked the Aubrey-Maturin novels.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS