Cracked Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's a "teachers pen" it should have red ink on one side and blue or black on the other. For marking papers...you know what the red is for :lol:
The only way to fix the crack would be to disassemble the pen. HF makes a transfer punch set that is excellent for gently knocking the pen components out to the tubes. You will want to remove the transmissions and knock the nibs out. Put the pen on the mandrel or a jamb chuck made out of a dowel with a tight fit to the inside of the tube. Fill the crack with thin or medium CA, re-sand and re-finish the pen and then re-assemble it. Often, unless the wood has real sentimental value or is very unique, it's easier just to make a new pen using similar wood.
HTH, Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Yah, Dave is right...it would probably be in your best interest to just get a new kit and make a new pen. The kits are readily available from places like Penn State Industries. If you can replace the wood, then you are in good shape. I can't tell what was used on the sides, though, from the picture. It looks like a rosewood on the middle, but is that wood or another material on either side of the rosewood? That may play a role in your decision, too, but the time spent disassembling the pen and the chance of ruining the pen in the process :cry_smile is why I would recommend making a new one...

Cheers,
Chris

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
AS Dave said it's a teachers pen.
If you don't have the HF transfer punches the nibs can be punched out with a coat hanger.I use the brass rods from a toilet repair kit.There are a couple in the the kit of varying lengths.
insert the rod through the transmission and whack the end of the rod until the nib comes out.
(Caution, I wrap the barrel with thick rubber bands and remove any jewlery from the hand that is holding the blank.)
Once the nib is removed the transmission can be pressed out.By pressing it out you can usually reuse the trannys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors