Couple of boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Recently finished two boxes. First is a recipe box built from rescued firewood. The proportions are not so hot, but it was function over form for 4x6 cards.

recipebox1.jpg

Second box was another firewood rescue utilizing bandsaw. Also got to try out Donjer spray on velvet. I think this box is pretty ugly. I would genuinely appreciate critique. What could I have done so it doesn't look so "stodgy"?

Redoakbox.jpg

Sapwood

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I think the joinery/layout is impressive on both. Why do you think it is ugly? I think the drawer is neat. Are you thinking maybe the thickness of the top? Maybe the way you attached the sides together and the glueline stands out? Regardless, I have yet to venture into boxes (besides drawers) so looks good to me from the picture.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Travis Porter said:
Why do you think it is ugly?
1) Height versus width proportions poor (I was limited by original wood size)
2) Too many hard angles, no softness nor curves.
3) Though not visible from pix, the kerf for drawer too wide (gotta practice those curves or use 1/8 blade)
4) Don't worry, my self-esteem is fine :mrgreen: I am genuinely seeking input from folks that have design aptitude.

Why Not?
Sapwood

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Roger,

Enough, enough!

I for one like stark, clean lines! Sooo, if you don't like the boxes, I'll gladly take them !

Bernhard

M

McRabbet

Nice firewood, Roger! I prefer the first one, too (love those contrasting splines)... The second one has some special character... Maybe round the corners where the sides join the front and back would look a bit better and, as suggested above, a somewhat thinner top.

Rob

Monty

New User
Monty
sapwood said:
I am genuinely seeking input from folks that have design aptitude.
OK, I'll be quiet then! :lol:

I think they both look nice, although I like the first one better. :mrgreen: I'm also interested in learning from comments on the design of that second one...

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Roger,
Those are really nice! I like the first one, is that cedar? The top is really nice, I guess that's the squirrelly wood you were lamenting about. The corner splines are very nice. They are well worth getting chased around the shop by the bandsaw blade.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Roger, as I said earlier I like them both. The maple top on the recipe box is absolutly fabulous and I don't think that the proportions are wrong for a recipe box.
The second one does have something that could be improved in it's design, although I am still intrigued as to how you cut it, especially the top cavity. I think a thinner top, and less of a "overlay" on the top and bottom, mortised hinges would help make next one extra nice. Also there is something going on with the sides, are they thicker than the front and back, what ever it is isn't setting the best with me. But all that said I would be proud to have made then myself, especially considering all the stock was re-sawn from FIREWOOD. I am very impressed.
Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
The box for 4x6 cards is a great looking box. You are correct in that those dimensions internally do not lend themselves to the greatest proportioned box externally but you box is bold and looks great.

The second box is good as well but does not possess as much pizazz as the other. I think the chamfered edges do not work with the smooth shape of the drawer. I think it would have been better if the corners were rounded, and the lid did not overhang as much. The lid looks thick and it makes the box look top heavy. I am not slamming the effort, Roger, just giving an honest opinion. I am assuming that the box was sawn from solid or laminated wood to get the band sawn drawer. If the depth of the box from front to back was increased it would also help the proportions somewhat. Whenever you can try to build using the golden ratio and all things being equal your work will be eye appealing. The golden ratio is 1.618 to 1 and supposedly is the same ratio found in the measurements of women thought to be shapely. Don't ask me how I know that.....:eusa_doh: :lol:

cskipper

Cathy
Sharp boxes. I like the detail in the first. I have no room to talk because I couldn't make that box for my life. If I changed anything on the second one it would be to make it shorter or wider (not easily do-able when working with scrap) decide on the transition shapes - the drawer is curved but the sides, top and bottom are chamfered, makes all sides thinner and make the sides out of one piece of wood - kind of looks like they are two glued up (looks like you were wanting the grain to flow horizontally). All that said, it's still a cool box and certainly better than any I could make.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks folks, just what I hoped for and more!

The first NCWoodworker Make Over :lol:

Especially like the suggestions for thinner lid, reduced overhang, rounded corners and agree the overall proportions beg for more depth or less height. The glue up on the ends is pretty funky too. As Cathy suggested, I added those to cover up end grain and maintain horizontal flow.

Again thanks to everyone for the input. Critiqueing is not criticizing. :mrgreen:

Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sapwood, you still haven't spilled the beans on how you made the Oak BS box. The only way I am seeing is you cut off the back, cut out the drawer, then assuming the piece is small enough to stand as presented in your pictures you then cut out the rest of the top opening. Am I close???

Jay

New User
Jay
Sapwood,

I would agree with some of the earlier responses. I guess I would sum it up as looking pretty rugged for a box its size (second box). The first box is incredible. I would like to be able to do something as nice one day. I love the drawer on the second box. If you think it is that ugly send it my way and I will give it a good home. Just put your name on it 'cause I would hate to be tempted to take credit for it!

Jay

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Roger, I was lucky enough to see your first box when we visited on Saturday and it looked fantastic. You did a great job on it.:eusa_clap I am looking forward to using that router spline jig you gave me last night.

I wish you would have shown Steve and I the second box as well while we were there. From the photo of it, the only thing I think I would recommend would be try to use thinner stock for the sides of the box. But your reply to Cathy above explains why the sides look thick. Still, it is a good looking box with a great drawer feature.:icon_thum

D L

DavidF

New User
David
Sapwood you old fox! there's you telling me your're c$%p at stuff - I think you are too modest! Boxes look good, second box I would say sections of all pieces are a bit thick and I would put a small cove on the base to "lift" the box away from the base. Small 1-2mm pads under the whole thing would create a small shadow line that again would lighten the currently "grounded" look.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks again folks :-D

Box No. 1 is for MIL (a wonderful cook that I hope will share recipes with her daughter 8-O).
Box No. 2 will be given away or exchanged to someone that chooses to make a contribution to Kids Making It in Wilmington (Hey, the Brusso hinges are worth $20) :mrgreen:

DaveO,
Idea stolen from another Doug Stowe book, though mine is very different :roll:
1) rectangular block
2) Band Saw front and back
3) BS top compartment from resulting middle
4) Glue front to middle
5) Cut drawer from the glued up front and middle (two cuts)
6) Cut front and back from drawer
7) Remove material for center of the drawer
8 Glue drawer front and back to drawer
9) Glue top and bottom of piece "4" that was cut making drawer
10) Replace back
11) Add top and/or bottom and hinges.
12) Try to figure out how to round over top and bottom after asssembled :crybaby2:
13) Post on NCWoodworker for terrific advice about how it could be improved.

Still having too much fun,
Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
sapwood said:
3) BS top compartment from resulting middle
4) Glue front to middle
Sapwood

That totally explained it to me. Thanks, sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS