costly commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
A while back I spoke to the owner of my barber shop and we made a deal that I would make name plaques for him and the other barber to hang in the shop in return for putting my name visible on the face. The theory being that a small town barber shop is kind of a gathering place and I could use the advertising. Easy project right? :no: During the making of these plaques I had my shop built air cleaner expire:gar-Cr My ancient Ryobi router followed shortly thereafter :eek: The beading bit I wanted to use for edging was not amongst my inventory so for cost efficiency I purchased a large set of router bits :confused_

Final project cost:

New Jet Air cleaner $260
Freud Router Set $95
Router Bit Set from Amazon $98
Plastic combs $1
Wood was free cabinet shop castoffs

Hopefully these $454 plaques will generate some more work !! :rotflm:
If not, at least I got some new tools :gar-La;

The plaques are made from oak with the scissors scrolled from cherry and painted silver. Letters were cut with a template set and router. Finish is a wash coat of flat black paint and BLO.

The name labels were made on a Brother P-touch electronic labelmaker using clear tape and the "wooden" border option.:wsmile:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
That sounds just like my comision work!:gar-La; write it off as advertizing.:icon_thum

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I had a $50 commissin cost me $60 for a new router bit. In a way I kinda felt stupid, but I really wanted the new bit!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
But if you spread the cost of the bit over all of the projects it will let you accomplish, it's really not too bad.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I dunno...if your gonna create something new, "Adam" is a proven name, right? :gar-La; :gar-La;

Chuck

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Nice work, Glenn. However, I DO have one question----

We're supposed to make MONEY doing this stuff???

:rotflm::rotflm:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice job on the name signs, Glenn...As mentioned, the new tools are reusable and should serve you well on other projects. Keep up the great work...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Nice looking plaques Glenn! The problem of course is that we humans experience time backwards! You see, you got all these wonderful new tools, and then recouped some of the cost by making plaques with them. Not the other way around!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nothing more satifying then getting paid doing something you love. Don't worry about being in the hole. Rome was not made in a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors