Corner china cabinets

dazart

New User
Steve
My wife would like me to make corner china cabinets in our dining room. She's given me a link to what she's looking for - Pintrest link for corner cabinet

I'm trying to find some plans or directions or some video that goes over how you do them so I can get an idea on how to start, things to watch out for, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Seems to me Norm made a corner cupboard and his plans are still available as far as I know. May not be exactly what you are looking for but easy enough to modify.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
If you are interested in a reproduction of an antique version of a corner cupboard, there are two plans with measured drawings in this book by Franklin Gottschall.

dazart

New User
Steve
Found the one from Norm. Just watching the video helped. May order his plans to give him some coin and then just modify it to my needs. I'll check out the book too. Thanks!

mrmilburt

New User
mike
Wordsmith shop had a set of plans, WS19032, and popular woodworking had some in their December 2002 issue.
Mike

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Are they built ins, or free standing? That affects construction methods a little.

Charles Neil also has a YT video series on a corner cabinet. Worth a look for how he made full size drawing and templates for top/bottom & shelves.

dazart

New User
Steve
Free standing. Here's a picture of our dining room (ignore the laundry :)). It's a little dark but she wants a corner cabinet in each corner next to the window.

Looking at that picture it doesn't seem like there's a lot of room between the window and the corner. I may have to take a look and see what the measurement actually is after work.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
The depth off the wall is important. The diagonal gets shorter more than you might think.

As I recall Charles Neil’s was a 5” standoff.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
yes, and you have to take into account the drapery rod - unless the corner cabinets will not go that high...

I had a cabinet for a bathroom, careful measurements and got it home and - oops, forgot the window sill sticks out 2" on each side - the cabinet was 1" too wide... DOH!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS