Cork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Has anyone turned cork? I'm wondering if it would be stable enough to turn. What I was thinking is that if I could keep it 'spongy'...I could make my own 'comfort'-style pen with a wine bottle cork. So, I could turn the pen out of something nice, then turn a cork 'grip' near the nib...just to see how it turned out. I would finish the nice wood with CA, but use friction polish on the cork so that it remained spongy. I'm guessing that it would not wear well???

I also have some friends who own a vineyard and I thought that could prove to be an interesting gift to them....

...just thinking :)
chris

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
If you have friends that have a vineyard.. why not make them a few bottlestoppers?

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I'm not sure about turning it, but you can put it on the dander and shape it. If you get anywhere with it keep us informed. have a blessed day.

woodguy1975

New User
John
It may not turn well with turning tools. You might want a rasp or microplane to shape it. I would think it would just crumb when exposed to a turning tool edge.

Good Luck,

John

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Good Point, John. One thing that I have found is that I am approaching things so narrow mindedly (look that one up :) ) I forget that there are 20 different ways to do something and I wouldn't have to use a gouge or chisel. After thinking about this, I bet that just using sandpaper to shape it out will be good. I'll have to make one and use it for a couple weeks to see if it wears. I'm guessing that it won't last long, even if I 'stabilize' the middle. Now, I could stabilize the whole thing, but that would lose the overall point of having a 'cushioned' grip.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors