Cordless Drill Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtrager

New User
Mitch
I've got an 18-volt Dewalt NiCad Drill/Driver that is about 4-5 years old. My batteries have not been taking a solid charge recently - Is there any way to tell (other than buying new ones) whether it's the batteries or the charger?

If it's the charger then I would buy a new one - if it's the batteries, it may be time to upgrade to NiMh or LiOn.

Thanks.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
IMO if it is the original battery I would go with the battery being bad - we work with Dewalt at work and the boss has some that will not hold a charge and he usually upgrades drills

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
You Never heard this from ME!
Do NOT do this if you have plans to sue me!

If you should do this; More is NOT better!
NiCads ONLY

You must have a digital voltmeter. Jump your 18 v battery with a 24v battery (fully charged) for only 5-6 seconds at a time. Check the voltage after every 6 second jolt. When your battery reaches at least 20 volts then you can place it on the charger. If it won't get past 18 volts then you have a bad cell. All of the cells are 1.2volts & can be purchased online & soldiered in place of the bad cell.
Note:
Make sure that you match the polarities correctly when jumping the batteries. You can jump it with (2) 12v car batteries in series or (4) 6v lantern batteries.

mtrager

New User
Mitch
Thank you all. I guess I knew it was likely the batteries but I just didn't want to accept it. ($$$).

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mitch,
A good question to ask and the responses are informative.
We have a Power Tools forum and I'm moving the thread to that forum for suitable attention :icon_thum

Roger

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Thank you all. I guess I knew it was likely the batteries but I just didn't want to accept it. ($$$).

18 volt batteries are pricey. Try Joe's trick, it works sometimes like he says if the cells are all good. Sometimes NiCads are finicky and a visit to the pacemaker will revive them.

nelsone

New User
Ed
18 volt batteries are pricey. Try Joe's trick, it works sometimes like he says if the cells are all good. Sometimes NiCads are finicky and a visit to the pacemaker will revive them.

Randy, I thought you were going to recommend an antique cordless drill!

3d35_1.JPG

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Hmmm, wish I'd thought of that.... It would definetely cut down on battery problems. :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS