Continuing Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BallashWoodworking

New User
Kurt
Good morning fellow woodworkers! My name is Kurt, and I am glad to have been informed about this group from another member in the area. I have been practicing my trade on my own since 2013 after I separated from the Army after 10 years. I gave it a great ride, but I felt life was taking me elsewhere. I inherited a small lot of power tools from my grandfather's boat shop after passed away, so at that point some of those tools had been sitting for a little bit before I decided to give it a go. I am happy to have been blessed in that manner. Since then I have found that passion that flows through my family's veins. My father still works in the Trade in Ohio and has been a great mentor in helping me develop my God given talents. I have slowly started taking on more difficult pieces and have enjoyed the learning, and the lessons that come along with the process. I am glad to be here, and will try to become more active here. I am going to make my time here part of my daily work schedule. Research and experience!

ntboardman

New User
Nick
Welcome Kurt! Always cool to see a legacy live on! Also, thank you for your service. Myself, my family and our country wouldn't be the same without men like you serving. Enjoy the community here. I'm fairly new as well, but its a great group of people.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Kurt. Glad you found us. We seem to be getting more and more members in the Fayetteville area. Maybe y'all should schedule a lunch sometime just to get to know each other. We have several groups that do that in different places around the state and it's just a nice way to meet and greet other woodworkers.

And thank you for serving our great country. Many veterans on here and we all appreciate your service.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome Kurt, I had a similar journey into the craft myself. Nothing is more special to me than using my Grandfather's tools.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Kurt. As you can tell, you have come to the right web site.

BallashWoodworking

New User
Kurt
Thank you all for your warm welcome. I would willing to do a Fayetteville area lunch group. I work from home so I am extremely flexible. Maybe some of them will read and introduce themselves.

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome to our little spot on the web Kurt, glad to have you with us. There are lots of good people here and there is always someone willing to share some knowledge or lend a hand. Please do not be shy, feel free to join in a conversation or ask any question.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
First, thanks for your service! Welcome to the neighborhood. There are tons of great people here with a wealth of knowledge &willing to share.

BallashWoodworking

New User
Kurt
Thank again to those who have welcomed me to the group. I look forward to learning from you all and passing on my little nuggets of information as well. I am currently reading Understanding Wood as well as finishing up the base for a live edge coffee table today. Base is made of cherry and the top is a spalted curly maple live edge slab about 66" long and 24"-30" wide. The base will be 20" H with the thickness the top will sit at 21-1/2". When I finish putting tung oil on next week I will post some pictures. This is a donation piece for a local school to help raise money for their technology wing. I also volunteer with a couple other gentlemen at Falcon Children's Woodshed as a safety and assistant instructor. I am a member of Cape Beard here in Fayetteville as well and help raise money for local charities.

What do you guys typically see your MC on wood here in NC? Most of my stuff in my garage is sitting around 10%.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Welcome to NCWW Kurt! We're really glad to have you and look forward to seeing your work!

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome to our sawdust pile Kurt. Love to see some pictures and also want to thank you for serving our great country.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome, Kurt.

10% is a good low MC. The wood should be good for any project, including fine furniture.

We love pics. Sometimes, when you have to use your hands to describe something online, pics work better. :D

BallashWoodworking

New User
Kurt
I finished up my live edge slab and got a photographer to do some pictures of it as well as stand up my web page. When I get the images back i'll post a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors