Contemporary Natural Edge Sofa Table

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
My girl friend Jean and I designed and built this table a few weeks ago. The slab is Macacauba that we purchased at Woodcraft in Raleigh. It is 30" high, 54" long and about 13" at the widest point. The waterfall miter was the the most nerve racking but turned out fine. To facilitate cutting the miter, we attached 1/2" plywood to the back of the slab so that we'd have a straight edge for registration and alignment and then cut it on the table saw using a sled dedicated to miters. The leg was crafted from a 6" X 6" blank that we glued up using cherry that was not otherwise useful for furniture. The finish on the slab is General Finishes Seal-a-cell and the leg was painted with GF black milk paint coated with GF water based satin top coat.

View attachment 200417View attachment 200418View attachment 200419View attachment 200420View attachment 200421

Attachments

• sofa table1.jpg
    sofa table1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1473.jpg
    IMG_1473.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, beautiful! Super nice contrast between heart and sapwood.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Bob,

Beautiful work - as usual!

I was so over live edge boards with screw on legs. You have given me new hope for a slab that I have had since before slabs were the "thing".

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Beautiful work - as usual! I was so over live edge boards with screw on legs. You have given me new hope for a slab that I have had since before slabs were the "thing".

Interesting Design (and fine implementation) sure helps doesn't it?
Not all slab tables need to look alike - 50% resin with screw on legs - this one demonstrates that nicely!

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS