Connections for metal duct work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
OK so I have quickly figured out that with wall thickness differences, 6" metal duct work doesn't fit the plastic connectors. Are metal 45's and y's available for 6" ducts? Is that a specialty item or do the borgs carry such things? Forgive me that I have not looked there yet, but so often NCWW helps save me time wandering aisles.

Henry W

aplpickr

New User
Bill
You do not want a 6 x 6 x 6 wye. You want a 8 x 6 x 6, 6 x 5 x 5, or 6 x 4 x 4. A 6 x 6 x 6 will drop the velocity by 50%. And you don't want a tee in any size. Pressure drop will be terrible. Two 45° are much better than a 90°.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
My blue BORG stocks a limited supply of metal duct fittings. Are you running a dust collector or HVAC duct? A 120° tee is much better than a 90° tee. Go to a HVAC dealer to get what you really need instead of some cobbled-up stuff. A couple of incorrect fittings can KILL the best exhaust fan available.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Connections for metal duct work? Dust collector

Sorry - lack of context there. I forgot to mention this is for a relatively small shop dust collector system.

Henry

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Most of the hvac pipe at the borgs is 30 gauge. DC pipe from Onieda, Penn State Ind., etc., is 26-24 gauge. You can collapse the 30 gauge pipe if you are not careful. Always make sure at least one blast gate is open.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Unfortunately HVAC fittings run the wrong way. They are designed for air flow AWAY from the appliance, instead of TOWARD. Wood Workers Supply in Graham probably stocks fittings. That's where I bought mine about ten years ago. But be prepared for "sticker shock." NB Handy (off New Hope Road, near Wurth) stocks 26 ga.snap lock pipe.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Most of the hvac pipe at the borgs is 30 gauge. DC pipe from Onieda, Penn State Ind., etc., is 26-24 gauge. You can collapse the 30 gauge pipe if you are not careful. Always make sure at least one blast gate is open.

You've got to have one heck of a DC to collapse 30 guage. I have a 2hp Grizzly DC and put a piece of 30 gauge snaplock on the intake and then smacked a piece of wood onto the inlet and that didn't cause a collapse. I have never had a problem with with my 30 cauge. maybe a 5hp. system would collapse it, but I doubt it.

Junquecol hit it right on the head, when he said that the fittings are designed the wrong way for dust collection, but with the crimper that Tarhead recommended, and a little ingenuity, you can make the borg fittings work, at a much lower cost than purchasing actual DC fittings.

Good luck !

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Connections metal DC ducts - HVAC stuff is working

Thanks all - my local (Cary CrossRoads) HD had a decent selection of 6" fittings that I am trying. I have plumbed it using the correct/standard airflow direction (i.e air moving towards the DC). I can get away with that because the intake to the cyclone allows a 6" metal pipe inside and it seems to have been made for it!

So HVAC stuff is going to work I believe.

Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS