Compound Mitre Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at purchasing a new compound mitre saw and was told by a freind I should purchase a belt driven saw.

I know nothing about who manufactures a belt driven mitre saw.

If anyone has experience with abelt driven saw, please help. I'm not sure there is such a tool.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Not sure off the top of my head how many non-sliding compound miter saws have belt drives... That represents a significantly larger investment.

James Anderson Jr

New User
James
I believe the dewalt slider is belt drive. I used one for several years while working for a company doing home remodeling in Charlotte; I loved that saw!

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I believe the Hitachi saws are belt driven. Seems like Lowe's carries the 10" or 12" Hitachi slider with the belt.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
The reason for the belt drive is to get the motor up and out of the way to allow for tilting of the saw to 45 deg in both directions. Tilting a non belted miter saw toward the side with the motor would not allow more than about a 20-30 deg tilt. If you look at the saws that are available you will notice that the ones that can tilt in both directions have the motor mounted above the blade, thus requiring a belt to connect the motor to the blade.

Charley

Rob

New User
Rob
I've been very happy with my makita, got the best reviews I could find online.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Bosch has a new saw out with knuckle joints instead of rails. you can put it up against a wall instead of having it stick ouit into the shop. Neat idea that you might check out

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Bosch has a new saw out with knuckle joints instead of rails. you can put it up against a wall instead of having it stick ouit into the shop. Neat idea that you might check out

Brad, I saw one of these in Payne's the other day. It was really nice and had a real smooth movement. :icon_thum:icon_thum

Granted the $880 price tag was outta my reach for now!!! :swoon: :gar-Cr

Brian

manfre

New User
Manfre
I've been using the Kobalt 10" for over a year with no real complaints.

Edit:

Factor in the depth of your workbench. The rails stick out really far in the back and my saw needs more than 2' to fit properly on a bench. My next saw will most likely be one of the newer ones without rails. E.g Bosch's glider

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I got a 12 inch Hitachi dual bevel that is belt driven from reconditionedtoolsales for $150. It has a little wobble in the blade but makes good cuts (you just have to allow for the wobble). It is not a slider, however, so the crosscut is only about 8 inches. OK for most hardwood boards in my experience. They also sell sliders at this source. I don't think you could tell it from a new one when I got it.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS