Compact Dust Collection: Festool, Fein, or Other

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
I currently have a Delta dust collector connected to a trash can separator as well as a Shop Vac connected to a dust deputy. These two items are taking up precious shop space, and I am thinking of getting rid of both and replacing with a better compact collector. I have a Festool Track Saw and Domino and have heard good things about the Festool Dust Collectors and assume that there are advantages to a Festool to connect to my other Festool products. I have also read positive reviews of the Fein Dust Collectors and at least in reviews these compare favorably to the Festools at a lower price. I also understand that both should be much quieter than my current options.

Would appreciate any feedback on these or other options that could be used for complete dust collection in a small shop. Tools used include a Delta lunchbox planer, Delta 6" Jointer, a bandsaw, miter saw, router, and the Festool track saw and domino.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I currently have a scrollsaw shop in my back bedroom. I have a festool dc hooked to my scrollsaw and sand flea. Out in my wood working shop I have 4 dedicated shop vacs, miter saw, 2 bench top sanders, table saw, and bandsaw and router. I also have a festool dc for my sanders and track saw. Works for me.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am not an expert of dust collection, but based on my experience, Festool vacuums work very well when attached to small power tools such as sanders, track saws, etc. When you scale up to the high volume dust generators such as planers, jointers, table saws, etc., you need a much larger system (something that can accommodate hoses that are at least 4" in diameter).

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I have both a Fein and a Festool. The Fein are louder then the Festool. The Festool connected to my tracksaw and orbital sander does amazing job with dust collection. If you already have Festool tools, I'd just stick with that brand. Now one difference is the Festool hose is smaller diameter than the Fein hose (at least on mine) so not sure how well the Festool would do on some of the larger tools.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
No Festool's her but I hear there awesome. I do however have a Fein hooked up to my sander in the shop and it performs great. No dust in shop whilesanding using this system

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use Rigid shop vacs with the main one pulling through a dust deputy to minimize filter cleaning. Both wear quasi HEPA filters ("HEPA fabric"). When connecting to my DeWalt track saw, Bosch sander, or DeWalt sander, I use a Bosch 5 meter hose. I use a 2.5 inch hose to my other tools including my SawStop but the shop vac is not really adequate for the larger tools. I bought a HF DC but haven't purchased the super dust deputy or drum for it yet, that is a project waiting to get to the top of my list.

Rigid shop vacs are loud but work fine. I wear hearing protection in the shop so the noise is not a significant issue. There are lots of other tools I want more than a quieter shop vac.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Yes, the Festool will do an excellent job. The collection on the sanders is very good and on the Domino is ridiculously efficient! Also works well on any other hand tool.

I would restrict it to hand tool use. They are not meant to collect the machines.

I prefer to use a shop vac/cyclone for the router and miter saw. Especially with the router table, you could fill a bag very quickly and they are not cheap.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
You can adapt a Cleanstream HEPA filter cartridge (~$30 at Lowe's/Home Depot) to most vacs and avoid the cost and limitations of the filter bags. I've used one for over 10 years and still works like it was new. Made out of Goretex type material by the Gore company in the US. Easy to clean with a strong jet of water and will still allow lots of air through when loaded up with dust. https://www.gore.com/products/cleanstream-wet-dry-vacuum-filters

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
You can adapt a Cleanstream HEPA filter cartridge (~$30 at Lowe's/Home Depot) to most vacs and avoid the cost and limitations of the filter bags. I've used one for over 10 years and still works like it was new. Made out of Goretex type material by the Gore company in the US. Easy to clean with a strong jet of water and will still allow lots of air through when loaded up with dust. https://www.gore.com/products/cleanstream-wet-dry-vacuum-filters
HEPA filters are a necessity in shop vac IMO especially a sealed shop environment. They work very well in a shop vac/cyclone setup. Prior to the cyclone I still used a bag I think it seeemd reduce frequency of cleaning and much easier/safer to dispose of

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS