Colonial Console Table Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Last month I was in search for suitable table legs for a console table that one of my daughters requested for their new home.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60949&highlight=legs

After a long search for the appropriate scale I stumbled upon an alternative that I could order from Lowes. – Stair balusters 1 ¾” square and a good length for the table. As they were looking for a satin black finish, I elected to just use poplar for the whole construction.

Balusters.JPG

IMG_06914.JPG

I cut the 7” square off of one end and used it to turn the small feet under the bottom shelf.

IMG_06992.JPG

It is a small table 40” long, 13 ½” wide with about 6 1/2 “ aprons. The overall table height ended up as about 33”. I used dowel joinery for the legs to aprons and pocket screws for the interior web frame. It was finished with 2 coats of General Finishes Lantern Black milk paint and added 4 coats of General Finished High Performance Satin clear coat.

IMG_12203.JPG

IMG_12233.JPG

Theresa_s_Console_Table.jpg
Delivered it yesterday and they seemed pretty happy with the results. Thanks for looking.

Wayne

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Great looking result - and some ingenious thinking on use of pre-made parts.

Finish looks spectacular - I am considering doing a table with black legs and will consider your materials/methods.

Henry

llucas

luke
Senior User
Wayne, that's a winner! Love the contrasting dovetails, and the shelf really pulls it together. Thanks for sharing, you gave me some good ideas for a future project.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought it looked a little odd or out of proportion... Until the shelf was added. That brought the proportions right back in line. Very nicely done.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I thought it looked a little odd or out of proportion... Until the shelf was added. That brought the proportions right back in line. Very nicely done.

I had the same thought, Ken. When my daughter asked to maximize the drawer depth it forced me to make the aprons a little wider than I had originally planned, hence making it look top heavy. But, when I added the bottom shelf (about and inch narrower than the top) and raised the whole thing about 4" with the bottom feet, it started to look more like I had envisioned. (By the way adding the bottom feet couldn't have been simpler by using 3/4" dowel screws.)

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS