Coffee Table and End Table Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Been a two month long process as I have little free time to work on these, but finally complete! A big thanks to Colin (InteriorWoodWorks) who helped me flatten the top of the coffee table.

These were made out of cherry (stained with gel stain.......sacriledge i know, but the wife had to have these dark) and finished with oil based poly (finally figured out good method for applying without bubbles, and junk in the finish). The interior drawer components were all cedar. I'm not sure if using cedar for was theic best idea for interior drawer components so we will see how it works out. I could still use some help to get the drawers perfect, but have a feeling I need something a little better than the el cheapo harbor freight dovetail jig.

At any rate the pictures are below, and I am quite satisfied with the overall project. If you have any suggestions please throw them out. I don't do this very often.....and every project is quite a learning experience.

Attachments

• etable2.jpg
    etable2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 87
  • etable1.jpg
    etable1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 91
  • ctable2.jpg
    ctable2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 93
  • ctable1.jpg
    ctable1.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 100

toolferone

New User
Tom
Brandon, those came out great! You should be very proud. Any wip pics? Tell us about the construction method used. It looks like you have that finish really figured out.

On a side note, I'm not a big fan of cedar. I use popular or soft maple for secondary wood alot.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
great job! Dts look tight from here. i really like the arch in the apron. was this your design or from plans?

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I don't have many pics while under construction. It was all mortise and tenon, and some dado type joinery as well. Top is attached via a "sliding dado" type deal if that makes sense, that allows for movement. I "piston fit" the drawers......found a method that works, but not convinced it was the all time best method. How would you guys attach the drawer runners.

Toolferone....what problems have you experienced with cedar? To soft, splitting etc?

The plans were mostly my own, but with a little inspiration from a old copy of Wood Magazine. There was a similar type end table in one edition that had two drawers. I modified to one, and crossed it with a shaker sort of style.........that is about the only way I know to describe it.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Looks great from here :thumbs_up

My HF DT jig gets more use than any other! Grizzly has a very good manual for these types. Free download.

toolferone

New User
Tom
I just found a it a pita to work with. It was brittle and splintered easily. Personally, I don't find it very attractive, and I feel it takes way from a nice piece of furniture as used as a secondary wood.

MagGeorge

New User
George
Gorgeous tables! Great design, like the arched aprons, tapered legs and the joinery. The finish is amazing. Great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS