Coffee Grinder (revisited)....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ok, technially this is a thread inspired by a thread that is related to woodworking :)

While back, PChristy asked about the coffee grinder kits sold by the likes of Rockler and Woodcraft.

Being a coffee snob (home roaster of over 1100 pounds), I suggested a few alternative grinders, but one was way to expensive, the other, too inexpensive.

Burr grinders are the best way to grind consistent grounds. Most are sold in machines that are in the multi-hundreds of bucks and up.

I have found a new and much better grinder option for those who want to make such a project.

Sweet Maria's is the Lie-Nielsen of the Home Roast Coffee world. It doesn't get much better than them.

They now sell the Hario Skerton Hand Crank Coffee Mill. It is a ceramic burr grinder.
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.hario_skerton.php

[YOUTUBE]_yUshN6xi6E[/YOUTUBE]

For $40, I don't think you can go wrong, at least from a quality grinder perspective.

I intend to order one for my own Coffee Obsessive Cupulsive Disorder.

Oh, if you watch the video and wonder, the AeroPress is possibly one of the finest ways to make a cup. I've had one for about 6 months, love it. I do prefer a french press, but the AeroPress makes a different type of cup that is outstanding.

Jim

FlyingRon

Ron
Love the Aeropress. I used to have a stainless steel french press that we used when camping but boy is the Aeropress much more convenient and easier to clean. You just eject that plug of coffee and filter disk and you're ready to go again.

I'll have to consider the grinder over the aeropress. Right now I grind at home and vacuum seal (foodsaver) small batch.

What are you going to do for travel roasting :gar-La; My Hottop won't fit in the overhead bin I don't think.

JPio

New User
Jon
Hey Jim,

Good to see a fellow roasting addict on the site. I hooked up with Sweet Maria's about six months ago and have never looked back. I'm still getting my roasting technique dialed in, but even the difference between my 'bad' roasts and what I was drinking are amazing.

Thanks for the tip on the grinder. I've been using an electric grinder, but results are inconsistent.

Regards,

Jon

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ron and Jon, we might have to take this coffee talk offline. I suspect we have a lot more to talk about than wood be of interest on this here forum :)

Jim

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
I want to be included. I love a good cup of coffee. I had a Saeco Automatic up until recently when it decided to die on me. Trying to save up for another one. The aeropress looks very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS