Cock-beading workshop wrap-up

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
We had an excellent workshop thanks to the great instruction and super prep work by Dan

Here are some photos:

Dan and Charlie B
IMG_4566.jpg

Richard, Rich, Dan, Michael and David
IMG_4569.jpg

Jeremy and Donn
IMG_4572.jpg

Donn
IMG_4577.jpg

Charlie B
IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4581.jpg

Jim
IMG_4582.jpg

Richard
IMG_4588.jpg

IMG_4589.jpg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I second what Jeremy said, thanks for all you guys did putting this on.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Great workshop....thank you Dan, and thank you Phil. For those who don't know Dan, he is an accomplished woodworker as well as woodworking historian. Consequently, we not only learned an interesting construction technique (cockbeading) but a bit of associated history (we were taught the German approach to cockbeading as opposed to the English). As for Phil, he is always a gracious host, his shop is extraordinarily well-equipped and his culinary talents are exceptional!

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Yes, I agree completely! It was a great day! I think everyone had a great time and learned a thing or two! I personally not only learned a few things but really enjoyed the company of Dan, Phil and the rest! As usual, Phil did not disappoint with his hosting! Lunch was outstanding! Thanks to all!

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 for a great workshop and I agree with Mike's comments.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Consequently, we not only learned an interesting construction technique (cockbeading) but a bit of associated history (we were taught the German approach to cockbeading as opposed to the English).

I'm curious what are the differences between the English and German ways of doing it?

As usual, lots of kudos for workshops and lunch at Phil's shop!

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan,

Thanks so much for teaching the class. I learned a lot. I ordered the "glue pot" from Walmart. It came this week. Now I just need some glue to heat up. Do you have some recommendations for which hide glue I should start with? I recall you mentioned a gentleman in the Concord area who was an expert and (I believe) has a web site where he sells hide glue. Do you mind forwarding his contact info?

BTW, here's the finished drawer from the class. Of course, now I have to make a table to go around it -- will be the first table I've ever *after* the drawer!

IMG_7419.jpg

Thanks again,
Jim

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
BTW, here's the finished drawer from the class. Of course, now I have to make a table to go around it -- will be the first table I've ever *after* the drawer!
IMG_7419.jpg

I'm going to need to start building again to catch up to you. Very nicely done Jim. I think the drawer would look great with a little shellac and wax maybe?
1-top_attached_brass_installed_003.JPG

Here's a table I did at the end of last year. The entire table is built with wood from a number of members here on the site.​

Love to see a few more completed.

Later

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS