CNC Service Bureaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
In the latest issue of Popular Woodworking magazine, author Tim Celeski recommends finding a local CNC Service Bureau that will use their large-format CNC machine to make woodworking templates from MDF. There is an older article at the link below. Is there such a service in the Raleigh area? There are quite a few CNC facilities, not none mentions wood or MDF that I can find. It would be awesome to have some MDF templates for router projects.

[h=2]Easy Entry Digital Woodworking — Preparing Patterns for an Outside CNC Service[/h]
attachment.php

Attachments

• CNCPatterns-1-1-768x576.jpg
    CNCPatterns-1-1-768x576.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 282

Robb Parker

Robb
Corporate Member
Not in Raleigh area, but Denver, NC. We have a industrial 4x10 Homag router and cut MDF and ply/veneers.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Not in Raleigh area, but Denver, NC. We have a industrial 4x10 Homag router and cut MDF and ply/veneers.
Robb, what are the name and contact information for your company? I don't have an immediate need as I need to learn some new software. Do you have a recommendation? The author likes Rhino3D, but it's $1000 (unless there's a deal for a hobbyist.)

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
In the latest issue of Popular Woodworking magazine, author Tim Celeski recommends finding a local CNC Service Bureau that will use their large-format CNC machine to make woodworking templates from MDF. There is an older article at the link below. Is there such a service in the Raleigh area? There are quite a few CNC facilities, not none mentions wood or MDF that I can find. It would be awesome to have some MDF templates for router projects.

Easy Entry Digital Woodworking — Preparing Patterns for an Outside CNC Service

I've done this for a few people on my 4' x 8' CNC machine. I use Vectric software for design, and you don't need to buy the expensive software for CNC design to do your templates. I can import a lot of different file formats, and recommend you create what you need in a vector software package (vector files can be scaled up/down without loss of quality) so that we can easily scale as needed. There are plenty of free vector design software out there.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member

Robb Parker

Robb
Corporate Member
Mike,
Heritage Woodwright, 5851 Balsom Ridge Road, Suite F, Denver, NC 28037.

We use Mozaik as out CAD/CAM software. Design to machine, auto generates g-code. Price point is good.

Website in signature line.

Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Mike, since you're already using SketchUp, you could stick with that. Vectric, a common source for CNC software has programs that can import SketchUp files directly for creating toolpaths. There are a few different extensions for SketchUp that can create toolpath files as well.

You might find the Opendesk site of interest. They started as a way to connect people with CNC makers. They have a range of plywood furniture designs that you can send to your local CNC shop for manufacture and they have a sort of clearing house for CNC makers. I haven't looked through their list lately but perhaps they have someone near enough.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
My sign partner uses Corel for 95% of design work, it's not free but not that expensive.

This link talks about some different options: https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-adobe-illustrator-alternatives

Inkscape is the one I hear the most about. I've not used any myself since I use the Vectric software as it came with my CNC. They have a basic version of their software called Cut2D that starts $150 (max size 24x24")

Can you take Corel files directly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS