CNC Domino trick - an even more expensive way to use Domino tenons to build shelves

AgingHippie

New User
Greg
There are always debates about the best way to build shelves. I found a neat trick when I had a CNC router in my shop.

You can easily design the mortise for a given Domino size in something like VCarve. Then you just route mortises on the faces of the uprights for the fixed shelves. I use two 8mm Dominos on each end of my fixed shelves. Be sure the front-to-back distance on the uprights matches the stops on your Domino (it’s still much easier to mortise the ends of the shelf boards themselves with an actual Domino machine!).

And then you run a drilling sequence on the CNC to space out your shelf pin holes for the adjustable shelves. A 5mm router bit designed for drilling works best; the one from Festool for their shelf pin system is great. The only thing left to do on the uprights when they come off the CNC is to use the Domino machine to cut mortises in the top and bottom to mate with the top and bottom boards of the shelving unit. And of course you cut the corresponding mortises in the faces of the top and bottom on the CNC just like you do the uprights.

I thought I had a picture from the last big built in I did this way, but I cannot find it right this minute.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS