CLT Woodworkding Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm signing us up for a booth (30 x 10') at the Charlotte Woodworking Show this year. The date has not yet been determined, but we'll need volunteers to staff the booth. In addition to the booth, the show sponsors are offering the following:

WHAT! “Strolling Seminars” are bite-sized classes for novice and advanced woodworkers.
Examples include “Preventative Maintenance for Tools,” “A Beginners Guide to Identifying
Woods,” “Sharpening Carving Tools.”
WHY! Your club will be included in “The Bark,” our new show program and all pre-show publicity, plus a
banner at the entrance to the show will direct attendees to your booth.

HOW! Some clubs use workshops they’ve presented to members or at local woodworking stores, others
develop a completely new program. Some groups also develop one class that all members are able to present
while others’ members present topics that they personally are skilled at such as “Japanese Joinery” or “Steam
Bending” – over a teapot! Be prepared to make about three fifteen-minute presentations each day. You’re still
free to do other demos/presentations during the times you’re not making a Strolling Seminar presentation.

Anyone out there up for it? We need to know pretty soon.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Put me down for at least 1 day. I can demo, work the booth, spend money (preferably someone else's) , or just stand there and look pretty.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'll be there on Friday and will be more than happy to work the booth if you need me. I don't do anything that would be easily demonstrated in the booth, unless you want me to bring my rocking chair and show how I sit and enjoy my shop. :gar-La;

Did Scott say he would stand there and look pretty? Surely I misread that. :rotflm:

Bill

I do hope they have the show I just really wish they would find a new venue for the show... The way it was set up last year you could not hear any of the seminars everyone was talking on top of each other and bouncing around that hall.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Their literature online did not specify a date or a venue. I'll let everyone know as soon as I hear.
Their paperwork also stated that 'Special Booths' could not sell items without a Federal Tax ID #. :crossedlips:

Their literature online did not specify a date or a venue. I'll let everyone know as soon as I hear.
Their paperwork also stated that 'Special Booths' could not sell items without a Federal Tax ID #. :crossedlips:

I know that one place in town does not have dates so I am assuming it will be the same place as last year unless that place is out of business cause really they have no other option in the Charlotte area to go and they had the place listed on the charlotte page of the website http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/styled/styled-34/index.html

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Do they provide any further definition for "special booths"? I thought from last year that only applied to commercial ventures and not non-profits.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The online literature doesn't specify which hall they will be using at The Park. There are 3 different areas there available for this sort of thing.
As for the guidelines, for clubs and guilds the site directs me to the 'Special Booths' guidelines which are very specific about the conduct they will accept. Even a tool that is for sale and used in a demo may not have a price tag. The only 'tagging' they allow is credit to an owner for the loan of a tool.

The online literature doesn't specify which hall they will be using at The Park. There are 3 different areas there available for this sort of thing.
As for the guidelines, for clubs and guilds the site directs me to the 'Special Booths' guidelines which are very specific about the conduct they will accept. Even a tool that is for sale and used in a demo may not have a price tag. The only 'tagging' they allow is credit to an owner for the loan of a tool.

I guess it would depend on how many booths they sell as to which hall they are in.... The hall they used last year is the cheapest hall to rent... I wish they would play hardball with them and get free parking out of them... I am sure they could since the venue is desperate for any shows they can book.. Attendance would be so much better not getting ripped off to park at least they should make parking valid for 3 the free days of the show

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Park was bought 5 years ago by a local church that planned to move there. With all that's been going on (or not) in the economy I suppose they have delayed their move and decided to utilize the site's revenue potential.

The Park was bought 5 years ago by a local church that planned to move there. With all that's been going on (or not) in the economy I suppose they have delayed their move and decided to utilize the site's revenue potential.

HAHA....... sorry it is just hard for me to keep a straight face with that one..... I am sure that is what the press release will state if they go out of business

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
They seem to think of Charlotte as the "red headed step child." Last year, the Woodworking Show did shows in Baltimore, Cantilly (DC near Dullies) and Fredricksburg. Chantilly has been one of their bigger shows for years. Well this year they are doing Baltimore, and Fredricksburg. Rent at Chantilly must have gotten too much. Venue in Fredricksburg, from photos, looks like an old shopping center.

They seem to think of Charlotte as the "red headed step child." Last year, the Woodworking Show did shows in Baltimore, Cantilly (DC near Dullies) and Fredricksburg. Chantilly has been one of their bigger shows for years. Well this year they are doing Baltimore, and Fredricksburg. Rent at Chantilly must have gotten too much. Venue in Fredricksburg, from photos, looks like an old shopping center.

well it is hard to build a show following when you skip us (I guess the show was sold the other year) and last year was the first year back..... Last year is was not on the calender till late and added and this year it is still TBA.. I understand show promoters need to make money and that is why they do it and I want it in Charlotte cause I live here but honestly I think the show would do better in Greensboro this is coming from a show promoters point of view.... This would capture the Charlotte market and Raleigh market better along with the triad... the people from Hickory would still be close with I 40 ...

nothing makes a show worse then not having much to do / look at / or buy once you get there and the seminars were really noisy and basically killed them in my opinion they got the floor plan all wrong.. I do not want to be negative but constructive and it is hard to build a show with these problems.... If the show stays at the park it was much better spread out in liberty hall or at least spread out in Independence then how it was last year in freedom... but it is all about money and those halls cost more... The show really needs a partner show here in town two promoters that would have cross over to help each other on advertising

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good news! NCWW DOES have a Federal Tax ID# , so volunteers will be free to sell items in our booth. Perhaps this will give members a little more incentive.
Matt, Scott, Bill, thanks for your volunteering. I'll put down on the application that we'll be having strolling demos on scroll saw, inlay, and whatever else we can come up with on the appropriate days (I'll probably bring the lathe).
Folks, we need to have a minimum of 2 and preferably 4 volunteers for each day. If we can work 1/2 days, that number should double. I can be there probably all 3 days work permitting. We'll keep this thread up until the show and let everyone know the show dates as soon as they are announced.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Depending on the dates, I can probably do 1/2 day. I can stand beside Scott and make him look good!! :rotflm::rotflm:
Please let us know the dates as soon as you have them. :wsmile:

TBone

Tommy
Senior User

I've been to both and Chantilly was nearly twice the size several years ago. Chantilly was same distance for me as Charlotte and I have a relative in Williamsburg that goes with me each year. However Chantilly has been shrinking. It appears this year they are dropped. I hate missing meeting NCWW's in Charlotte, but Fredericksburg is over an hour closer. I think the economy has attendance down at all shows.

I've been to both and Chantilly was nearly twice the size several years ago. Chantilly was same distance for me as Charlotte and I have a relative in Williamsburg that goes with me each year. However Chantilly has been shrinking. It appears this year they are dropped. I hate missing meeting NCWW's in Charlotte, but Fredericksburg is over an hour closer. I think the economy has attendance down at all shows.

The Economy is effecting all show... in the world of the internet with lots of online videos , blogs sites, websites like this and with vendors selling things online cheaper then the products sell at the shows attendance will drop because there is less value there to attend.. The show promoter has to create more value to get the people to come out... When people so up for live seminars and cannot hear them... when people feel ripped off with the cost of parking or the cost of sub par food at the venue then people get turn off and do not come back... when people go to a bad show at one venue and then someone else has a show at the same venue they are less likely to attend even though one has nothing to do with each other.. The vendors need to step it up also they are relying on sales at the show but they should be happy to have sales at all... On vendor I told I was going to buy the product but not at the show but from one of their dealers and they got mad at me last year... if I buy from the company or a dealer why should they care I am still buying there product... the next day the person saw me and said they were sorry for how they reacted but still. I have since bought a lot of there products but still... the shows need to have Value to the Consumer and in a down economy you need to create more value and also till the soil for new people to attend...

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
The Economy is effecting all show... in the world of the internet with lots of online videos , blogs sites, websites like this and with vendors selling things online cheaper then the products sell at the shows attendance will drop because there is less value there to attend.. The show promoter has to create more value to get the people to come out... When people so up for live seminars and cannot hear them... when people feel ripped off with the cost of parking or the cost of sub par food at the venue then people get turn off and do not come back... when people go to a bad show at one venue and then someone else has a show at the same venue they are less likely to attend even though one has nothing to do with each other.. The vendors need to step it up also they are relying on sales at the show but they should be happy to have sales at all... On vendor I told I was going to buy the product but not at the show but from one of their dealers and they got mad at me last year... if I buy from the company or a dealer why should they care I am still buying there product... the next day the person saw me and said they were sorry for how they reacted but still. I have since bought a lot of there products but still... the shows need to have Value to the Consumer and in a down economy you need to create more value and also till the soil for new people to attend...

I couldn't agree more. That's one difference I noticed in the shows. Charlotte I think was either $7 or $10 to park, can't remember. Chantilly was free. They had a decent food court at the show, but there were 3-4 fast food restaurants on the opposite end of the parking lot and more inside the shopping complex. I agree with value, but we've actually gotten better deals at the shows than we could in the internet. Not to mention the dealer from Richmond delivered a table saw and 18" band saw for my relative and set them up for them for a better price than anything I saw online.

I couldn't agree more. That's one difference I noticed in the shows. Charlotte I think was either $7 or $10 to park, can't remember. Chantilly was free. They had a decent food court at the show, but there were 3-4 fast food restaurants on the opposite end of the parking lot and more inside the shopping complex. I agree with value, but we've actually gotten better deals at the shows than we could in the internet. Not to mention the dealer from Richmond delivered a table saw and 18" band saw for my relative and set them up for them for a better price than anything I saw online.

well that is the added Value then I am talking about and makes it worth while attending... and the more of that you have the more people will leave the shows happy and wanting and willing to return next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS