Clinker-built Boat (in pine)

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Thanks for sharing that. You can tell it isn't his first rodeo. I like the way he shapes the transoms as he goes with his knife and the way he sets the roves with the nippers.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Pretty interesting build -- I was amazed at the way he "finished" the curves on the bow and transom near the end -- I'd be fearful of such an aggressive approach. Looks like a nice rowing skiff.

Thanks for sharing/

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks to be mostly held together with copper rivets and a few screws.

Those are really neat clamps he's using.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Copper rivets are common in that sort of boat construction.

I made a dozen planking clamps similar to his when I was working on the baby cradle for my son. They are great when you need the reach but not the clamping thickness. They are also much lighter than metal clamps. I used wing nuts on mine but I'm thinking it would be cool to replace them with cranks like his have.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you Raymond - VERY interesting video - the only thing better would be to see him in person!
His "Apprentice" at 40:00 is a bright spot in the video - made me smile!
I know if I were cutting those top ribs to length with a handsaw, that there would be a BIG gash in the board below it...
Then when he uses the power planer and runs up to the power cord - I KNOW it would have leaped under the planer and I would be replacing a power cord!
Funny thing too - it looks like dimensional lumber from one of the big box stores - I am certain it isn't, but it sure looks like it!

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Hank, I was thinking the same about the power cord on the planer. And when he was shaping the transom with the ax, I was thinking that's where I'd probably turn the entire boat into kindling.

I wish I could get lumber as nice as what he was using at my big box stores.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Very interesting. Lot's of techniques to think on. Already thinking about more uses for my Morakniv collection. His techniques for fitting angled joints seem reversed from much of what I've seen in that he didn't waste any time setting up to cut measured compound angles, just lay them in, trim to fit and done. Doesn't know or care what the actual angles are. No digital angle gauges needed. Might not work in all cases but sure worked nicely for that boat.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors